cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to remotely mistakenly program a TG582N with another customers details?

creamola
Grafter

Possible to remotely mistakenly program a TG582N with another customers details?

Team,
            This is a weird one:
To cut a long story short, I have been managing an issue of slow ADSL for my Mother-in-law (ticket 116173553). The voice line was very noisy and she didn't actually have a BT Master socket - so an Engineer arrived, installed a master socket and cleaned the line of crackle and pops.
Her TG582N then synced at 7.2M (good) but actual tested download never went above 200K, so it seemed as if he IP profile had got stuck low and I requested that it be reset and had PN confirmation that "I have now pushed a few changes on our profile, and this should resolve your speed issues. If you now restart the router, your downstream should improve." .
I therefore visited her last night and power-cycled the 582N. Imagine my surprise, when once rebooted, the 582N not only wouldn't bring up internet (ADSL had synced fine) but that it seemed to have been reprogrammed with someone else's config possibly.
I say this, because the SSID had been changed to "TNCAPC193EA" and I could no longer connect to the router via Ethernet or WiFi - or rather I could, but it wasn't running DHCP and it wasn't 192.168.1.X or 192.168.0.X range - so it was impossible to connect and see what other config it now had.
A full reset fixed the problem (it was back to broadcasting SSID PlusnetWirelessB1EA8AD) but has anyone seen this sort of thing before?