cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to have SNR lowered?

ady
Grafter

Possible to have SNR lowered?

Hello, I remember doing this several years ago on the old style forum? And someone on there could lower the SNR for you. This worked out for me and I went from 1mb to 2.5mb and everything was stable
Then it got changed back to a higher SNR and I went back down to 1mb.
Several years on, I was wondering if it is possible to have the SNR brought back down, as 1mb isn't really keeping up with video streaming etc!
I would raise a ticket, however this didn't work out last time I tried.
Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Possible to have SNR lowered?

Your connection's not been brilliant of late, have you been resetting your router recently? If it settles down then we can raise a fault to request a change, just head to http://faults.plus.net as normal. As you're on 21CN, we can't just reset your target SNR margin and allow it to train in but we can request a change to a specific target margin through the normal faults processes.
ady
Grafter

I hardly ever disconnect other than when we had to place wireless phone near modem which seemed to DC the internet when it rang, but that's now been moved back. Other than that it has always been pretty stable?
I actually went through the fault process a while back to lower down the SNR and was told it got lowered but the SNR reading from my modem never changed and neither did the connection as it stayed around 1mb. (had 2.5mb before when SNR got lowered through the forum person)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your connections still intermittent, averaging around one drop per day at different times. Please report this to the Faults Team, answering that you have a problem connecting, your DSL light is on and that the connection keeps dropping. You'll then be guided through the correct path to report this as an intermittent connection.
Once we solve the intermittancy you may see an increase in speed. If not, we can then look at reducing your target SNR margin.
gyre
Grafter

Ben,
I'm also after a drop in target SNR margin from 9 to 6.  I've raised it on faults, but it seems to have hibernated.  Could you kick it along pls? Smiley
Thanks
-- gyre --
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@gyre
Your connection seems pretty stable so we should have no problem changing your target SNR margin. The faults team have your ticket and will update you in due course Smiley
gyre
Grafter

Thanks Ben Smiley
-- gyre --
ady
Grafter

We have completed tests on your broadband service. Unfortunately we could not find the cause of your connection problems.
Looks like I'll be going round in circles?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The ticket was returned because it was raised as a speed fault, not an intermittent connection fault. I'll ask the Faults Team to monitor your line for any further drops and advise you as to how we're going to work on this one. Please leave your router powered up and plugged in and they'll be in touch over the next few days.
ady
Grafter

Okay I have not reset router, had 100 hours uptime now. Totally understand this is a tiny amount however -
I'm really getting annoyed now. My neighbour has been on a 2mb connection (not adsl2?)  for over 6+ years now. He paid cheaper got unlimited, but I always stuck to plus.net I stuck to plus.net even though I was paying £21 when you lowered your prices and increased the download limits, and I didn't check back. So wasted years paying +£5 more every month till I realised. I've been connected at 2.5mb which I thought was stable many years ago and you decided to take my SNR back up. This hasn't been moved up after SEVERAL requests. Can I get some movement on this issue? And if it's not possible then just tell me.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ady,
I've passed your fault back to BT for more investigation as we can see the fault is still apparent. As soon as there's any more information available we'll let you know.
ady
Grafter

Hello, looks as if the path I'm following is the same as before. It has now been requested I make an appointment for a BT engineer to come to my house to diagnose the fault. This was done before and asked what the point in him coming down here was. All I want is for the SNR to be lowered, seems like it's an impossible request for me.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us. The connection's not been stable at all, with around 10 drops over the last 7 days. When a line behaves like this we can't request the target SNR margin is lowered, we need to investigate and resolve the underlying cause of the fault first. Once that's fixed, we can then ensure the target SNR margin is set at the best possible value to ensure high throughput.
The best course of action is for a engineer's visit to see if we can identify where the fault is and therefore stabilise the line. You may find that this action increases your sync speeds without us adjusting the target SNR margin, too.