cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to connect 2 routers to the same line without wiring them together?

breakat
Grafter

Possible to connect 2 routers to the same line without wiring them together?

Hi there,
I'm trying to find out if this is possible as what i've read seems to say no, but the info i've been reading isn't new so i'm wondering if something has changed to make it possible.
What i'm looking to do is have good internet both in the house and in the garage. For a while i've been using access points and repeaters, but this isn't good enough all the time so i'm looking to have a hard line in the garage also. To do this i'm going to have to install an additional socket in the garage, which i then want to plug straight into with a router.
I can then have wifi and wired in the garage. I also of course want to wifi and wired in the house also.
Everything i've read says to have 2 routers on the same line they need to be wired together, but yet wiring the routers together is not feasible.
Is it possible to do what i want to do?
11 REPLIES 11
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Possible to connect 2 routers to the same line without wiring them together?

If you're running a line, why not just run a CAT5e cable, plug it into your original router and use a cheap router as an access point in the garage.
Best of both worlds
Trying to use two ADSL modems on the same line isn't going to work I'm afraid
breakat
Grafter

Re: Possible to connect 2 routers to the same line without wiring them together?

I didn't want to drill a hole into the lounge (which is where the router is as seems to provide best coverage), and would rather drill it into the cupboard where the master socket is. I'm also not convinced of the quality of the internal wiring of the house so i wanted to bypass it (the existing router is connected to an extension socket).
Still, i guess it's running a cable into the lounge after all unless i can think of something else.
Cheers
picbits
Rising Star

Have you considered powerline adapters ? May not be ideal for use in a garage but certainly worth a try to save all the extra wiring and messing about.
breakat
Grafter

Yeah, i considered them, but then dropped the idea almost instantly as they sound like something that would be prone to instability. I have no idea if i'm right or not though.
picbits
Rising Star

I've had no issues with the BT ones I've been using. I have my whole AV system running from a switch hooked up to one.
gingerbloke
Grafter

Powerline adapters can be very solid in houses with modern/simplistic mains wiring. Unfortunately, on the limits they become very frustrating indeed (work for weeks, then need constant rebooting for a while, then work for weeks).
If you can do it, run a cable Smiley
breakat
Grafter

Ok so i've kind of settled on the idea of running a cable straight to the existing router. My current thinking is to get the CW1308 cable and put Rj45 connectors on each end so i'm straight from computer to router. Length is between 20-35m, most likely 35m as it's a more permanent solution. However, the cable will be exposed to the elements in certain places and under concrete in others so i'm wondering if anyone knows if this is fit for purpose? Inherent latency, packet loss and degradation due to inadequate cable is not acceptable to me.
If anyone has some proper knowledge and my requirements and wouldn't mind sharing that'd be great as i really don't like the idea of being led up the garden path with cable as the internet seems awash with space age cable ideas and i don't know how to sort the wood from the trees, and would prefer not to have to dedicate a large chunk of time at becoming adept with the electronics of it all. 
picbits
Rising Star

Run the cable and put CAT5e sockets at each end. Then use a patch cable to hook the sockets up to whatever you need to connect it up to.
Getting plugs on solid cable isn't too hard but you'll only get a certain amount of "wiggle" on them before the cores snap.
Outdoor cable here : http://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-External-Outdoor-Ethernet-Network/dp/B007VCVODC
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: gingerbloke
Unfortunately, on the limits they become very frustrating indeed (work for weeks, then need constant rebooting for a while, then work for weeks).

Like with so many things, its depends.  It depends on what you buy and how good your mains wiring is.
I spent a few bob and bought Devolo AV200 which have been excellent.  Plug them in, connect them up and forget they are there.
Some people have reported ADSL REIN interference with some home plug equipment.  I have not personally experienced that with the Devolo devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

breakat
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
Run the cable and....

Awsome! Thanks, i will do just this. Cheers all.
picbits
Rising Star

You might also want to check out armoured CAT5/6 cable if it is going to be laid anywhere it may get physical abuse from. If you can manage it, run two lengths as well - you can use CAT5 for telephone as well as network stuff (and use it for sending audio / video etc over at a push)