cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to add line rental to an already active Plusnet account?

Sen3ra

Possible to add line rental to an already active Plusnet account?

Heyas

I find myself in need of a BT phone line. The person who the current phone is registered to is moving to cable so i need the line rental moving to my name or have the line rental included in my Plusnet bill.

Is it possible to simply add £11.25 to what i already pay for my internet without needing to pay for a separate phone package and if so would it be possible to add the extra charge to my account without changing my current package or contract duration?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
itsme
Grafter

Re: Possible to add line rental to an already active Plusnet account?

I'm assuming that the Broadband is on the phone line of the other person?
If so it not straight forward as BT will unlikely just do an name change without a cease and this will result in additional charges to resupply broadband.
The other option is to move the telephone line to PN and perhaps PN can do the name change?
Sen3ra

Yes. My Plusnet connection comes via a phoneline that is registered to another member of my household.

They have asked BT to conclude the contract they have as they are moving to a cable based system.

I could get a phoneline from BT but i would prefer to have my total package of internet + required phone line from one supplier and have one unified bill.

How simple is it for Plusnet to supply me with a phoneline?
Will i need to contact BT myself?
Will the amendments alter the duration and nature of my agreement with Plusnet?
Can i get a phoneline added to my bill without having to pay for an additional phone service?
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You have got a problem.
When the other member of the household cancels the phone line you will lose your internet access at the same time.
Can you get him to cancel the cancellation and request a move to Plusnet instead.
If he does that Plusnet can change the name on the account into your name and everything will be OK. The minimum Plusnet phone package is evenings and weekends which is £11.25 (effectively the line rental charge).
If this can be done your notice period etc. won't change.
If, however, the BT Phone line is cancelled and your broadband with it then this will mean a new installation with its attendant costs which you will have to pay if you leave within 12 months
zubel
Community Veteran

Arrange a migration to your Plusnet account.  Don't cancel the BT account as Oldjim says - it will cancel your broadband too.
B.
Sen3ra

I think it's all sorted now.

The phoneline i currently use would have died regardless as Virgin Media are migrating the phone number over.
I have set up a new BT account that will take the phoneline over on the date Virgin is installed at a cost of £11.54 and called Plusnet asking that my service be transferred over to the new number. I expect some drop in service as there are three parties involved so things may not go smoothly.
I'm now locked to BT for 12 months for the phoneline and also Plusnet for the migration lest I be liable for the £65 fee.

Thanks for your help guys. I wouldn't have thought it was such a complicated exercise. You have saved me some hassle and maybe some cost too.
Zap
Grafter

I had this problem and think you should write to OFCOM about it.
This is yet another example of anti competitive behaviour by BT (the insistance of a 12 month contract) and the telphone industry.
All I am suggesting is a specific cooling off period of 28 days that allows you to change supplier.
Talk Talk (CPW) started this awful practice which they borrowed from their mobile business and BT said it was only fair because their competitors do it.
I was able to get around it by transferring my old line to Plusnet as a business line and then they converted it to a business line.
If you had to have a new install anyway I don't undertstand why you did not do it with Plusnet?
We have 7 days under distance selling regulations but 7 days is not enough because of the time it takes to action a service.