Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible speed

MrHankey
Dabbler

Possible speed

Hi all,
I have recently joined plusnet from sky and have been reading through the forums quite a lot.
I am receiving roughly the same speed with plusnet as I was previously with sky but I'm just wondering if that is the max I can get out of my line.
I have looked on the kitz site and completed a bt wholesale speed test with the attached results.
The one that got me thinking was the BT test which says 21 Mbps for the max achievable speed. Does this mean my line could reach this speed or is that just that ADSL can go up to that speed?
Would be nice to try and get a bit extra out of it if I could.
Thanks in advance.
33 REPLIES 33
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Possible speed

Your sync rate is a bit lower than I was expecting to see, bearing in mind your attenuation and your SNR. A couple of errors also appear on the line so it's worth doing the local checks first to see if any changes occur.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
MrHankey
Dabbler

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the reply, I have only been with plusnet for a few days, so am I better waiting a little while to see if things settle down (and stop being so impatient  :D) or should I carry on with some tests?
Thanks
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I can't see it increasing, but it is worth waiting for it to 'settle down' a little.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
MrHankey
Dabbler

I'll wait a little while then.
Out of interest with my stats what sort of sync speed would you expect to see?
Thanks
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If the line is perfect, based on the attenuation of your line, I'd expect to see near enough the full speed for sync.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Sorry, but it's not clear to me what that means - the 18Mb of the posted estimate or the full 24Mb of ADSL2+?
The upper value of the acceptable range of speeds from the BT speedtester is largely meaningless, the range given is entirely based on your current line speed, it doesn't imply any maximum capability of your line. The ranges can be found on page 10 of the Slow Throughput Best Practice Guide (although much of that document is outdated).
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'd expect 18Mbps plus.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
MrHankey
Dabbler

Hi both,
Just to clarify do you believe that I should be getting speeds nearer 18Mb?
Also this may be a daft question but would my IP profile have an effect on this as the BT test is showing my IP Profile as just over 11 yet the kitz estimate is showing a much higher profile?
I may be on the completely wrong track here.
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it is the other way round - the IP Profile is always 0.885 x sync speed on ADSL
MrHankey
Dabbler

Oh OK thanks, would be really nice if I could get my speeds up to 18!
MrHankey
Dabbler

Hi,
I have now plugged my router into the BT master socket, but if anything my speed has become slightly slower.
Attached is the bt speed test and my router stats at the moment.
Thanks
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Do you mean the master socket or the test socket (behind the removal front plate if your socket has one?)
Using the test socket should eliminate any possible adverse effects from extension wiring unless it's a bodge job (if you have no extension wiring it probably won't make any difference, although it's just possible the faceplate socket could be faulty or dirty, so still worth doing.)
Don't experiment too much though - frequent manual disconnections can cause problems in their own right if the DLM thinks there's a fault on your line.
MrHankey
Dabbler

Hi JayG,
I've just plugged it straight into the test socket and now getting the attached results on my router. Which looks like a big improvement.
I take it for the speed to actually increase it would take a little while for things to update?
Thanks
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Yes, the PlusNet profile needs to catch up before you see an improvement in actual throughput speeds - should happen within a few hours but can take longer (and sometimes gets 'stuck'.)
Leave it in the test socket if you can (I'm assuming you must have extension wiring for that improvement to occur, so you'll probably find any phone extensions don't work now.)