cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible reset?

2Senile
Grafter

Possible reset?

Not having issues but since "our" Fibre went live on Friday I've been playing around with my Draytek Vigor 2760n. As I'm incompetent & know nothing about Networks I've been changing settings & rebooting the Modem/Router ..... a fair bit.
I'm assuming this has messed up things with DLM.
Just out of interest I'd like to see how things behave without me messing about. I believe I have the optimum settings on our kit now & shouldn't need to do anymore reboots.
Results of BTW Speedtest carried out yesterday (2/6/2014) pasted below:
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
73.76 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 73.76 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 61.95 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
17.01 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 17.01Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

Many thanks in advance ....... but no big deal if it is too much trouble.  Smiley
11 REPLIES 11
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Possible reset?

Hi 2Senile,
Thanks for posting Smiley
If you've been restarting your *router* that shouldn't have any negative effects on DLM. If you had been restarting the Openreach Modem, that is where it can cause a few issues.  Your connection looks fine to me as it is Smiley
2Senile
Grafter

Hi Chris, the Vigor 2760n is a combined Modem/Router.
As stated, I was just interested in how DLM would have behaved if I hadn't done all the reboots.
Very happy with the connection considering there is Aluminium in the cabinet, the line from the pole is attached to our property at roof-line .... then enters a junction box, we don't have twisted pair drop wire, it is the older "8" & may be CCS,  two lines come from the junction box, one line enters a spur box & feeds the so called Master socket ..... & "another" socket. There is nothing connected to the other spur.  Roll_eyes
Frankly, surprised how good the connection is!  Grin
2Senile
Grafter

...... Also,
Downstream CRC Errors @ about 10 per hour while Upstream CRC Errors @ about 2 per hour. What are CRC errors & should I be concerned?
deathtrap
Grafter

You IP profile is still at the Max of 77.44mbps  they don't ho higher for FTTC , and the isp so matter which have very little control over the connection , as the  bit from your house to the street cab, is controlled by BT Openreach DLM and only they  can reset the DLM,  and for some IMO somewhat stupid reason they insist on calling an engineer out , to the cab to do line tests, and if they ask for a reset  it then gets done remotely from their control centre , this can cost the ISP , they may pass those charges on to you,
sadly that's how things are ,
as for your stats, the error rates that you have quoted don't sound too bad , you are syncing at the max 79999/19999 going by your ip profile , what are your attainable speeds like , and your noise margins ?  the higher the better as it may make the difference of your sync speeds being reduced by crosstalk or not as more connect to the cab
Also in future  leaving 30mins or longer between reboots  should you need to,  and keeping the number of them to a minimum  IMO not more than 3 but certainly less than 10 in any 24/48 hr period should avoid triggering DLM  unnecessarily
2Senile
Grafter

Thank you very,very much deathtrap.  Smiley
Sync varies a bit. Had the 2760n hooked up 10mins before the engineer arrived to fit the faceplate & the Modem reported 795??/20000. The majority of the time it is at 80000 down. It always reports 20000 up. Right now it is synced at "Downstream Line Rate 78572 kbps Upstream Line Rate  20000 kbps". It is a bit lower as I did my last reboot before starting the thread.
Actual speeds vary depending on the time of day it seems. Down is roughly 61-73 while up is roughly 15-17 ....... going from my vague memory. (see UserName)  Cheesy
Only had 4 prior to Fibre.
I think I'll forget about a reset. I was just curious anyway.

Downstream SNR Margin  5.4 dB
Upstream SNR Margin  15.2 dB
Downstream Line Attenuation  15.0 dB
Upstream Line Attenuation  0.0 dB
2Senile
Grafter

Well, seems I get to see how DLM works after all.  Cheesy
64.01 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

The Modem/router went back to Default settings last night, on its own, My Config backup was slightly out of date so I re-entered everything manually.
Strangely, PNs TR-69 "put" their DNS settings on my Modem/router. In the wrong place, not for the first time. I'll be phoning Support about this sometime as TR-69 shouldn't touch my non-Plusnet supplied hardware.
deathtrap
Grafter

Can you not disable TR-69 access to your router?
2Senile
Grafter

Yep, by various methods but the point being that the ACS server should not pee around with my kit in the first place.
Now, I suspect (I know nothing about such things) things got confused as after the OR guy left (he did offer to stay while I got "on-line) I actually had the Plusnet supplied Router connected ....... for bloody hours. TR 69 would have registered the serial number with our account.
As we couldn't get online I setup the Vigor 2760n, replacing the Plusnet supplied Router & OR Modem, to see if it would allow us to get on-line. The kids just got me the 2760n as a "toy" for me to play with.  Grin
About 7hrs after the OR guy left I phoned Plusnet Support to find out what was going on. Supposedly, the OR guy never informed Plusnet the work was complete. Few minutes later we were online. Decided to continue with the DrayteK Vigor 2760n as it is a single unit & is quite nice.
Sooo, my suspicion is that there is a PN DB that thinks we are using the other kit. ..... & ACS is confused.  Wink Grin
When I feel like it I'll give support a ring. PN might not realise this can happen. ........ although there is a "force syncronisation" parameter that can be used for internal networks.
2Senile
Grafter

Still doing it.
I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd check to make sure I'm not going insane.  Wink
Didn't set the Modem/Router to default settings ....... I installed Firmware ............ twice to make sure.
Yep, lo & behold .......  212.159.6.10 & 212.159.6.9 got added to where they are not supposed to be.
Bit of fun but I'd really better stop rebooting & what not ...... before I get knocked down to 1Mb/s.  Cheesy
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

TR69 has been disabled on your account already.
If your router is configured to automatically detect most settings such as DNS, it'll pull them and update them in your router.
2Senile
Grafter

TR69 has been disabled on your account already.

I know. I'm the one who disabled it several hours before I did the aformentioned Firmware installs.  Grin
If your router is configured to automatically detect most settings such as DNS, it'll pull them and update them in your router.

Don't think so & nothing in the literature to indicate such a thing. In fact it came with default DNS addresses already installed by the Manufacturer. Google IPv4 & IPv6. I also have the TR-069 ACS settings blank so .... ?
Also, when I mentioned earlier that PN DNS were being put in the wrong place ....... it's the DNS status page. They do nothing & there is no way to remove them Cheesy
Chris, I'm not really worried anymore. The issue could be with the DrayteK 2760n; it's nice but not something I'd recommend to the faint hearted. Software seems half finished & it was released over a year ago in what some might describe as a barely usable condition. Gotten better with the latest Firmware but still room for improvement.
Given me a chuckle.  Cheesy