cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible packet loss?

networknovice

Possible packet loss?

Long time PN customer, never had any major connection issues in that time, and still don't have problems with general web usage.  However I'm a bit of a novice to online gaming.  Recently got into Rocket League, my connection has been fine.  But for the last couple of weeks I've had rubberbanding/lagging a few times per 5 minute match.  I've reinstalled the game, but the problem exists still.

I did a bit of basic googling and used the command ping plus.net -n 300 ; here are the results:

Ping statistics for 212.159.8.2:
Packets: Sent = 300, Received = 295, Lost = 5 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 439ms, Average = 29ms

Is this out of the ordinary and worth raising a support ticket for, or just one of those things?  I've changed sockets, microfilters, and used a wired connection to the router.  One thing that may or not be related is that my speed test results have gone up 50% from previous months.  Also I don't seem to have any gaming usage in my usage stats, don't know if that affects things.

13 REPLIES 13
silkysean
Grafter

Re: Possible packet loss?

Yep I've been getting this the last few days too. Something is wrong at the server end I'm certain

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Do you experience problems with any other online services? What happens to your ping at that point? Wired/wireless connection?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
silkysean
Grafter

I've replicated the OP's test. I'm getting similar results, although not as bad. Still bad enough to effect my online gaming which is the whole reason I have broadband!

Ping statistics for 212.159.8.2:
Packets: Sent = 300, Received = 297, Lost = 3 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 22ms

For fault finding purposes I am based in Hawkinge, Kent.

DWslider
Hooked

Experiencing same problem, Hampshire

silkysean
Grafter

Kind of glad in a way it's not just me it's happening to. How does it appear for you? Gaming? Browsing? Do you have Steam?

Chris
Legend

Can you try and not spread your issues over multiple threads please, it makes it much more difficult to keep on top of what's going on.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
silkysean
Grafter

I'll stick to this one. You can close my other one.

DWslider
Hooked

Steam less affected than most but for example OW/LoL it shows as a freeze on all action on screen, a disconnection warning flash (never actualy disconnecting) and then the action catching up to current, spikes last from 5-20 seconds and have no pattern. My ping is fine if not excellent and download speeds are not experiencing issues, however the constant loss makes the service not fit for a touted service. 

silkysean
Grafter

Yep same here. Ping and download speeds are great but have random spikes of packet loss

networknovice

@Chris wrote:

Do you experience problems with any other online services? What happens to your ping at that point? Wired/wireless connection?

Chris, Thanks for responding.  I don't have any issues with streaming or web browsing.  I haven't really been doing any other online gaming that requires fast response so I don't know if any other games are affected.  I've tried both wired and wireless connections, with similar results when gaming.

Chris
Legend

Might be worth having a read of Bob's post here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Continual-intermittent-dropped-packets/m-p/1384464#M50...

networknovice

Thanks for posting the link.  I've tried restarting a few times.  Each time the ping test has better results, but still not perfect.  As others are posting the same issue, and an update was provided, at least it's not just my connection.  I'll keep an eye on others' posts to see if the issue is fully resolved.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Guys, provided a bit of an update here.

Also worth pointing out that pinging our website is not likely to be a good reflection of the situation as explained here. Better to use something like pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵