cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible line fault

Bud
Grafter

Possible line fault

Since a major BT outage around a week ago  I have had an issue with having no dial tone sometimes when picking up a handset, and sometimes the dial tone would be there but then just fade to nothing as if someone was turning down the volume on a radio.  It is not the broken tone to signify a message on 1571.

Last night I suffered several broadband drops and when it reconnected I had no data throughput.  The sync speed when there was no data throughput was half my normal sync speed.  Forcing a resync got me back to a speed near my normal speed and also able to browse the net.

I tried the usual tests, router in test socket, new corded phone (purchased yesterday in the hope it was the corded phone at fault)  in test socket and the same issue.  When connected to the test socket with only the phone attached I could hear what sounded like data modem noises faintly in the background when trying to make a call.  Also in the test socket I get a worse sync speed than using the normal data only extension.

Later on yesterday evening I got a call from 1571 which had recorded BOTH sides of a telephone conversation with someone who had called me so I tried to contact support to try and raise a phone fault.  After 20 minutes or so on hold I was put through to a dead line so I tried a chat, and it was obvious the issue went way above the head of the person on chat as they suggested the dial tone not being there or fading out was due to a message waiting on the line and that could also be causing the broadband issue.  Also with the slow sync speeds that occurred I notice the line speed shown on the portal never changed to reflect the new slower speed.

I will try calling support again this evening to see if there is a potential line fault but I suspect the broadband issue is being caused with what ever is causing the dial tone issue but I feel like this is going to be difficult to get resolved from last nights chat.

7 REPLIES 7
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Possible line fault

Our tests aren't showing any external issues I'm afraid.

We'd have to look at booking a engineer to the property.

If you want to do this feel free to respond to the question I've raised on your account.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Bud
Grafter

I tried to click the link in the email regarding the ticket to reply to the ticket but it doesn't take me to the ticket to reply.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Bud, Try going straight to http://contactus.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bud
Grafter

That takes me to a page shown in the attachment with no obvious link to see tickets....

The dial tone seems to have sorted itself out but the connection drops are getting more frequent with a resync of around 11 meg down and 800 odd up and no data transfer till a force a resync which then gets me around 21 meg down and around 1100 up and data transfer, but notice the SNR is all over the place on the upstream - its varying from 1 to 11 at the moment

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Bud

Find the tickets Here (Login Required)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Bud
Grafter

That link works fine, unlike the one plusnet supplied in the ticket Tongue

It no longer looks like any further action may be needed, neighbour had a fault fixed this afternoon and the line stats have improved quite considerably on my line since then so either we have both had a similar problem or the fault was causing interference to my line (my line runs underneath the next door house).

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Glad to hear things have improved and do let us know if that happens again.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team