cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible line banding or problem with line at my end?

Moolapie
Dabbler

Possible line banding or problem with line at my end?

Hello,

I have run multiple line fault checks via the plusnet bot reachable by text message. The bot reports the line is okay but I am still having my connection drop randomly regardless of the hardware I use. The connection is perfectly stable until the connection drops, at which point it will struggle to regain connection from anyway between 10 minutes to several hours. Rebooting hardware does not always guarantee a reconnection.

I have tried 2 different routers, 4 different micro-filters and various RJ11 and RJ45 cables. The problem is exactly the same with all hardware.

I have noticed on my own Router that my SNR margin is all over the place, jumping from up to 8 all the way down to -3 in the span of a minute

Please help!

7 REPLIES 7
Moolapie
Dabbler

Re: Possible line banding or problem with line at my end?

I have just noticed the connection appears completely stable until I introduce more than 1 device to the network, at which point it almost instantly disconnects.

Currently getting a stable 24,382kbps on my PC

Moolapie
Dabbler

Just got another drop using only one device after about 2 hours of no problems

innernet.png

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There's good news and bad news here...

The bad news is it looks as though you've got REIN.

The good news is that you have a good old TG582n and they are a dream router compared to some others, in that they really do lend themselves to being monitored using router stats.

You can download the full version of routerstats from the link below and then configure it for the TG582n using the other link.

But first...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Moolapie
Dabbler

I did a few minutes of the quiet line test and noticed a little bit of crackling and crunching

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're having a lot of connection issues.

I've been tested your line and the tests aren't showing the cause for this, but I'd like to call out an Openreach engineer and arrange a visit with you to investigate further. 

Could you drop me a reply onto the ticket I've logged in your account Here with when you'll be available for a visit? If you can post back once you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as possible. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Moolapie
Dabbler

Hi I have responded to the ticket with the days I am free for an engineer visit.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers! It turns out though that line tests had failed when we tested your line Saturday morning, so we've raised an external fault to our suppliers and we've been given an estimated response time of by 05/05/22 23:59:59 for an engineer to investigate further. Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet