cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Outage 12/4

m4rky

Re: Possible Outage 12/4

Which areas are affected?Huh
I have just posted an issue with setting up a new router and the problems I was having maybe this outage rather than my router setup?Huh
Tabbycat
Dabbler

Had me confused initially, as I happened to be logging on to TG582n; it was at that very point I saw the router do a warm restart, which (I wrongly assumed) was finger trouble on my part..
I trust PlusNet will pass on BT's root cause analysis, explaining how such an outage can be so widespread!
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: Tabbycat
I trust PlusNet will pass on BT's root cause analysis, explaining how such an outage can be so widespread!

They usually are, When things go wrong they dont generally go wrong on a small scale... Last year i remember Edinburgh Exchange had issues, which was affecting me, based in the midlands^ - BTs network is a weird yet wonderful thing  Wink Cheesy
What probably happened is a drop in connectivity between PN <===> BT for whatever reason, and thats what caused the issue (Thats a wild stab in the dark)
Regards
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

This issue has now been resolved. It was caused by an issue with node in Reading, we don't have any further information at the moment.
We've closed the service status.
Ldjh1985

BT related not Plusnet so I withdraw my criticism,, anyway downtime for me was only 15 minutes.  Cool
Yes O2 customers are being transferred to sky.  Cheesy
Quote from: Matt_2k34
With all due respect, unfortunately [Censored] happens.
Been with plusnet for years, rarely have issues - my FTTC modem router had been connected solidly for over 90 days. The line im posting from now has been connected over 60 days. I only ever reboot them to speed the routers up a little.
Bare with folks - I know its a bit OH MY GOD when you move into a company and you experience a problem. However I'm sure it'll be sorted asap Smiley
Also isnt Be/O2 going to Sky?  Cheesy Wink
Regards
x47c
Grafter

As Poster Matt..2k34 says trouble happens, things break down...such is life.
If you are unluckly enough to be on the end of a cable theft incident then you will be without phones or broadband for around 8 to 10 day: I know it's happened to me.
If it's a big cable theft or the thieves have seriously damaged the associated infrastructure then you are looking at 2 weeks downtime.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/04/bt-apologises-for-two-week-broadband-and-phone-outage-i...
I would describe broadband as akin to the early stages of the motor car.
Some worked, some didn't, many worked only some of the time.
Those who had an interest in 'car things' got them to work the best.
It took at long time before a car was something you got in, turned the ignition and it worked every time.
When broadband has been around for as long as gas/electric/water I'm sure it will be as reliable!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: chrispurvey
This issue has now been resolved. It was caused by an issue with node in Reading, we don't have any further information at the moment.
We've closed the service status.

Well I hope in due course, we will receive a more detailed explanation. For a start, looking at the Broadband Usage graph showing the time in question (also see attached), only one Gateway seems to have dropped. Secondly, because there is nothing posted by BTw that appeared on Zen or AAISP or on BT Business Status for the time Plusnet customers lost service nor an MSO for that time unless this was the issue .... the only immediately obvious connection being the clear time. When you read through the supposed updates to that issue, it's evident that there is sloppy and unprofessional reporting by BTw. I'm guessing that the pre-existing fault resulted in the need for a card change, in which case BTw should have advised ISP's ahead of that, so adequate warning could have been posted - that a large number of customers would lose service for about half an hour. Considering that this was peak time, BTw really have no excuse.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: sp1ke
Back again now.
This happened to me last Friday afternoon as reported on here on another thread.
I've just migrated from Be and so far not impressed at all.
Two outages in two weeks, lower sync and higher pings.

This type of outage does not affect sync with the exchange. If you have a problem with your line to the exchange, your service can be affected whoever your ISP. This is probably best addressed in your other thread.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Quote from: x47c
I would describe broadband as akin to the early stages of the motor car.
Some worked, some didn't, many worked only some of the time.
Those who had an interest in 'car things' got them to work the best.
It took at long time before a car was something you got in, turned the ignition and it worked every time.
When broadband has been around for as long as gas/electric/water I'm sure it will be as reliable!

Well said! Couldn't have put it better myself. Trouble is that, although some of you guys here seem to get off on delving into the entrails of the motor car (aka PC) , many of us just want to use it for getting from a to b (i.e. actually doing real jobs) !
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=ArthurDent]some of you guys here seem to get off on delving into the entrails of the motor car (aka PC)
That's because many of the customers who have been here for up to 15 years, originally signed up for "Force9" (before it became Plusnet).  Back in the day "Force9" was the ISP of choice for internet and PC enthusiasts who wanted to tinker and get the most from their connections.
Unfortunately over time, the original innovative products got diluted, features disappeared with each new product,  and now Plusnet is just another low cost consumer oriented supplier that happens to have a great traffic management system - when it isn't broken by all the recent/ongoing network problems !
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

when it isn't broken by all the recent/ongoing network problems !

I wonder just how small is the % of customers were affected last night? Down here in God's country my connection has been as steady as a rock since early October 2012, when I converted to fibre.  Roll_eyes
Akira
Grafter

It affected me also. From about half 8 (maybe 9 o'clock), my router just wouldn't connect. I'll try connecting again when I get home (at the mother-in-laws at the moment).
Ta PN  Wink
Mav
Fixes: 515

Just seen this thread.
I experienced the outage last night and just assumed it was a return of previous problems and, after several reboots to no avail, suggested to SWMBO that we leave it off for 10/15 minutes and then retry.
After that time it was back up and running so thought no more of it - didn't even think of checking Service Status.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

markm9
Grafter

i experienced this also last night, went off about 8, came back on about 9.30, as someone previously said **** happens Wink
Anotherone
Champion

Seems like Plusnet aren't rushing to give us a better explanation!