Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Line Fault?

lecks
Dabbler

Possible Line Fault?

Hi,
I was getting speeds between 5-7mbps until Sat 25th April when things went downhill. Initially we suffered loss of internet, when we regained connection the speeds dropped between 0.25-3mbps (erratic), the telephone line sounded noisy. I seem to be suffering numerous dropped connections. I have completed the trouble-shooters, replaced the filter, corded phone in test socket, but unable to test the router as I don’t have a spare. The line test and BT test came back with no faults so a line fault ticket was raised on 29th April, not heard anything back yet.
Currently running at 0.24mbs download and 0.76mbs upload.
Is it my line that is causing the problem or am I missing something?
Last time BT had to fix my line fault it took them 2 weeks.
21 REPLIES 21
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Possible Line Fault?

If your phone line is still noisy using the test socket, new filter and a corded phone it definitely will be affecting your broadband (it may not be the only fault but it's the one to tackle first.)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Is the Phone line still noisy following the checks that you completed?
lecks
Dabbler

The line was still noisy with a corded phone in the test socket, the line today would appear to be even noisier.
Download speed today has dropped to 0.15mbs.
According to my router log it looks like my connection was dropped numerous times during the early hours this morning. 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Is the line still noisy with just your hone plugged in, without broadband equipment connected at all?
lecks
Dabbler

Yes, corded phone in the test socket with nothing else connected and seemed even noisier this morning.
The SNR margin on my router status page fluctuates between 10-20dB, is this normal?
lecks
Dabbler

May have found my fault, couple of years ago BT replaced my overhead line but only took the new one into the hall and joined it to the existing line which went under the flooring to my BT socket. I know I shouldn't have, but I had some telephone cable so I put a new piece in.
I now have a quiet line, no noise what so ever. Apart from me messing with the router connections I have not lost connection through error since Sunday morning.
I am still running dreadfully slow, 0.17mbs down and 0.74mbs up.
Do I have to wait for BT to recognise that my line is now stable????
Is there anything else I can do????
joclark
Grafter

Morning, are you still having issues with your phone line ?
What exactly did you do to the line?
Have you tried the test socket ? What sync are you receiving ?
Could you do a quite line test, you dial 17070
Thank you
lecks
Dabbler

Thought I had fixed it but suffered another couple of dropped connections.
Noise is back even with a corded phone in the test socket but it is very intermittent and no where near as bad as before.
Not sure what you mean by sync rate, figures from router
Down Stream
current rate 284
Max rate  2740
SNR Margin 20.9
Line attenuation 38.4
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Your line is banded - WBC 160K - 288K Medium delay (INP 8 ) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+).
We can remove this for you, but I need to be certain that everything else has been resolved first, or it will just go straight back down again (and we'll need to wait a week and a half before we can do the same reset again).
The main test would be the router into the test socket, and let me test the line again. Currently, your SNR margin is 19db. I want to see if this reduced to 6db (a reasonable level) before we reset.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
lecks
Dabbler

I haven't resolved the issues with my line so I don't think a reset will work
Came home from work and the line was as noisy as ever, crackling and sounded like static on the line.
Unplugged everything and plugged the phone only in the test socket, clear line no noise. Plugged everything back in and the line is still clear of crackling and static. No doubt that it will come back as before.
I don't want to report as a fault in case the engineer can't identify a fault and then charges me.
UPDATED 12/5/15  9am
Last night left everything connected via the test socket (filter, phone & router), this morning the line is still clear of noise and have suffered no drops of connection.
Will leave like this and see what happens.
SNR Margin still high at 20.2db.
Any ideas anybody?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unplugged everything and plugged the phone only in the test socket, clear line no noise. Plugged everything back in and the line is still clear of crackling and static. No doubt that it will come back as before.

When/if the noise comes back, don't unplug everything. Unplug one device at a time and then listen for the crackling, keep going until you've identified which device/filter is causing it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lecks
Dabbler

Okay, noise has come back, been fine till 9.40 then noise appeared back on the line and every time I listened my connection was dropped.
Unplugged the router, still noisy.
Removed filter plugged, phone directly into test socket, still noisy.
Plugged every thing back in so I could get online to post, line very intermittently noisy.
Chris
Legend

Removed filter plugged, phone directly into test socket, still noisy.

Interesting. Let me go test the phone line.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

It's not detecting a fault, but that could be due to the intermittent nature of it. Can you have a look through here and use the 'Phone Troubleshooter' linked from this page: http://www.plus.net/support/phone/troubleshooting.shtml