cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port fowarding driving me mad

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Port fowarding driving me mad

Havent been on here for a while, seems things are busy as usual!
Okay so situation here:
I have a server type thing set up, a HP DC5800 running WHS2011 (Windows Home Server). That has its own file access thing, but its buggy and annoying. I went ahead and installed another client (HFS - google it). I can configure it so it uses a port to get access (like now it works on 192.168.1.8:201). I figured that I could access this remotely using the static IP I got and then :201 at the end.
So I try to portfoward it via the Netgear Genie GUI. This is literally giving me the worst migraine ever.
Checking on http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ it doesnt even show 201 as an open port! Ive tried others (like 101, 364, 169, 147, and all the other bus routes I take getting to sixthform and back) and still no luck!
Anyone got any ideas whats going on and offer any advice? Not really wanting a new router here, and certainly do not want to use the original WHS file server system as it doesnt even work correctly!
Cheers people!
4 REPLIES 4
mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Port fowarding driving me mad

Have you turned the Plusnet firewall off?
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Yep its been off for like as far as I can imagine. And its still off.
Checked the Windows Firewall on the server, still getting the same thing with it off, and the same thing again with it set to unblock the port.
mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sorry, I probably can't help much more.  Hopefully someone used to doing this will be along.
Never used Netgear Genie.
I did temporarily set up port forwarding ages ago on my Netgear router (A DGN2000) using the web interface and once I'd worked out after a lot of looking / googling that it calls port forwarding  "Firewall rules -> inbound services" it didn't seem too hard.
Which model router are you using?
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

The GUI isnt actually branded Netgear Genie, its essentially just the Genie software made into the routers interface.
Its a WNDR4000. Its funny how I can foward 3389 (the Remote Desktop thing) port and it works fully. And then trying to forward anything else just causes the router to be like "im going to save your settings, and make it look like im working when im secretly trying to annoy you!)
So currently the forwarding thing looks like the screenshot attached to this. Its there all saved but then the website given in the opening post just sits there saying "no, its closed".