Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding

jmctighe
Dabbler

Port forwarding

Hi
I am trying to set up plex connect to run through my apple tv from my desktop pc. After days of trying to forward certain ports i can honestly say that the technicolor Gateway TG582n is the worst i have ever used. I have set up one of the games and applications but it still does nothing once assigned to a device. Is there a way of just port forwarding for the whole router instead of individual machines?
thanks
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Port forwarding

why do you need to open any ports - doesn't plex connect run locally on a machine and connect on the lan rather than the wan?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@dvorak - Yes absolutely right, I use it without any problems with a 582 and I've tested it on other routers and it works fine.
Can we get a screenshot of your Game & Application Sharing screen please?
GeordieMark
Grafter

I believe Plex needs to connect out on port 32400 (I think) to link to the plex website if you wanted to share your library with others over the internet. And I guess that somehow needs to connect back to the server too.
I personally use this with no problems, I guess upnp took care of it.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

you don't need to port forward for outbound though, that'd only be inbound when the pc hadn't instantiated the connection
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dragon2611
Grafter

You do need to port forward if you want to access your library from outside your home.
If you have the port forwarded and the media server paired to your plex account you can login from anywhere by going to plex.tv
You'll also need the ports forwarded if you want to use the mobile App over 3G.  (Not recommended unless you have a decent data allowance on your mobile plan)