Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding on Thomson 585

mameha1977
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Port forwarding on Thomson 585

I need to do port forwarding because Skype video is not working great and I have heard port forwarding can sometimes help.  There is also a second application (SIP Voip) that requires port forwarding.
So, I followed the instructions on portforwarding.com:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/TG585v8/Skype.htm
Now, according to my router admin screen, port forwarding is set up.  But, the apps still have problems, and when I test the ports using the following tool it says the ports (e.g. 33792 for skype) are closed:
http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/
I have attached a screenshot of the settings for Skype (which has been 'assigned' to my laptop device).
Any ideas what is going on here?
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Port forwarding on Thomson 585

Any ideas what is going on here?

Hi there,
It looks like you've done the first half of the job (perfectly correctly I might add) but just need to assign the rule you've created.
The way port forwards work on these routers is by either using or creating a rule for a game or an application which is what you've done. After that you need to assign the rule (just need to click the button that says "Assign a game or application to a local network device") that then assigns the port rule to the IP of the device that wishes to use Skype.
I hope that makes sense and helps you out! Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mameha1977
Dabbler

I have already assigned it, as I mention above.
I attach now a screenshot to show that.
prichardson
Grafter

I can perform some remote diagnostics on this with your permission?
This involves asking your router for its current configuration, so showing what machines it knows about and the IPs, along with port forwarding. It doesn't show any actual data.
Let us know if that is OK and I will do this.
mameha1977
Dabbler

Ok please go ahead.
I also have two other devices using this connection from time to time but they don't need port forwarding at this moment.
prichardson
Grafter

Having had a look at this, I can see that a machine using uPnP appears to have requested a permanent port forward  for port 33792 (UDP).
However, looking as what devices have been assigned an IP via DHCP shows it is directing data to nowhere (as nothing has that IP presently).
That said, uPnP looks to have been mapping external port 33793 and directing it to internal port 33792.
I have instructed your unit to flush the uPnP maps.
I can't see 33792 as a Skype port. Can you confirm this is the specific one you have configured, and not 33793 in the client?
mameha1977
Dabbler

Thanks for looking into this in such detail.
Skype's port is 33792, see screenshot below. 
I have also a few hours ago turned off the alternative ports 80 and 443 in Skype, but havent had a chance to test it to see if video still works (text chat is working)
prichardson
Grafter

Based on that screenshot then, you should not need to have performed port forwarding in the router.
As you have uPnP enabled, that should have taken care of setting up the needed forwarding rules dynamically and completely transparently without any intervention by yourself.
Per the port forward rule I saw, you certainly have had uPnP enabled, but the remote view limits seeing if this is currently on. Have you disabled this at all in the router?
Looking at the rest of the settings, you should be able to remove the mapping you have put in anc completely restart Skype if uPnP is enabled, and ports should be forwarded automatically.