cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding on Netgear router problem, Thomson was OK

catshill
Grafter

Port forwarding on Netgear router problem, Thomson was OK

I have an IP webcam  that has been set to port 8080.
It works fine through the in internal network: 192.168.0.25:8080
I have set up port forwarding (TCP) on the netgear router with both start and end ports set as 8080.
This used to work fine on my Thomson router but doesn't work on the Netgear = my IP address:8080 just doesn't resolve.
Plusnet Firewall is off
My Window Home server also has port forwading set up on ports 80, 443 and 4123 and that is externally visible, so why not the IP camera?
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Port forwarding on Netgear router problem, Thomson was OK

Do you have remote access enabled on the router. The default port for that is 8080.
You could also try port-forwarding a different external port, say 81 to 8080 and see if that works. If it does then something on the router is using 8080.
catshill
Grafter

No luck, I've tried 8000 > 8080 and 8000 > 8000
All visible internally but not externally.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

How are you testing the external connection? If you are doing this using your external IP address but from within your local network then that will not work on the netgear. You have to be physically on an external IP address.
catshill
Grafter

If that is the case then how can I see my homeserver by using the external IP address? I am 99% certain that this Netgear router (WNR1000) does support loopback.
However to be sure, I have also checked that the webcam is not visible by connecting via my mobile phone.
itsme
Grafter

You should not need to port forward if you are accessing the Webcam from the LAN side. So first check the local IP address of the Webcam then whether you can access it by using this IP address. If successful and if the Netgear does not support loopback then use a proxy like  http://anonymouse.org/ to test using your external IP.
catshill
Grafter

I've already checked that the webcam is visible LAN side but not visible WAN side despite port forwarding being set up.
catshill
Grafter

Sorted it.
Router settings > WAN setup > Nat Filtering
Was set to Secured, changed to Open
"This option determines how the router deals with inbound traffic. The Secured option provides a secured firewall to protect the PCs on LAN from attacks from the Internet, but it may cause some Internet games, point-to-point applications, or multimedia applications not to work. The Open option, on the other hand, provides a much less secured firewall, while it allows almost all Internet applications to work.
"