cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding not working - Technicolor TG582n - SSH issues.

danieljohn
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Port Forwarding not working - Technicolor TG582n - SSH issues.

Hi guys / girls,
I can not get port forwarding to work. I have removed the firewalls from the router, via the plus net website and the one on my mac.
I have followed the guide here :
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Technicolor/TG582n_Technicolor/SSH.htm
and assigned it to the correct device (my laptop) to no avail. Port 22 shows up as 'connection refused' via
http://www.canyouseeme.org
I want SSH to be correctly on port 22 - currently it moves to a random high port around 50-53K, which is near to the peer-to-peer ports, potentially causing traffic identification issues (depending on exactly how you identify traffic). I have run Wireshark whilst running the ssh connection to my work and the traffic shows up as having priority "gold" (0x80) most of the time, but some times (0x10) for both TCP and SSHv2 protocol packets. This isn't in the key for traffic priority, but sits between 0x20 and 0x00 which are the lowest priority traffic, so I assume the 0x10 stuff is low-priority as well.
Maybe there are packets or something in the ssh connection that don't need to be high priority??, I can show you my wireshark log if you want...
I tried ringing up about these issues - the tech. guy had no idea really and said the actually smart people were only contactable via this forum, so here's hoping! Wink
All the best,
Daniel.
20 REPLIES 20
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Port Forwarding not working - Technicolor TG582n - SSH issues.

inadvertent double post removed
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Just as I answered it Jim!
OK you DO have a shh SERVER running on the laptop waiting for a connection to port 22 don't you? And it is accepting connections? Test from a different machine on the same lan, this will bypass the port forwarding stuff.
You should really have it incoming on a different port to stop the script kiddies, something like 2022 redirected to 22 would be best.
danieljohn
Grafter

Hi,
Firstly, thanks for the quick reply.
no I don't have a server running, but port 22 should still be open if I have port-forwarded it? - I understand outgoing ssh doesn't have to be on port 22, but I'm concerned about the wireshark analysis - if plus net doesn't identify traffic by port number, then I guess this is all moot, but the "0x10" concerns me and I'd like to move my outgoing ssh port to a lower number (22 or under 1024 maybe).
Thanks,
Dan.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Are you sure the 0x10 packets are on the *inbound* connection? Unless there's something to respond to requests on port 22, it's likely to show as closed.
The traffic management is based on DPI, so it doesn't really matter what port you use.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
danieljohn
Grafter

Hi,
no, the 0x10 are only on outgoing packets. Outgoing have 0x10 and 0x00, incoming from my ssh connection have 0x80. I am trying to interact with graphics at the other end though, so wouldn't this situation affect me as the traffic I am sending is classed as 'non-interactive' traffic by plus net and prioritised accordingly?
DPI? Ok, could we maybe force my outgoing SSH to a certain port and you allocate the port as 0x80 ?? Or identify my outgoing ssh traffic as 0x80 somehow?
Thanks,
Dan
Chris
Legend

We don't apply traffic management on your upload, so the values shown are irrelevant. You should be able to use any port for *inbound* ssh and we'll identify it correctly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
danieljohn
Grafter

Hi,
Ah right, that information is useful, but unexpected ( You don't throttle peer to peer uploading at any point then!?!? ) - I guess you rely on the low upload limits instead.
On a related note, do you still do 'Max' (the upload upgrade) or is it just 'Max Premium' now? (Max is referenced in the Max Premium blurb still, but I can't find it or its cost).
I am struggling for speed and think my upload speed might be the issue if my ssh traffic is being identified correctly.
Max Premium seems quite expensive for what it is so maybe an in-between step first would be best.
Thanks,
Dan
Chris
Legend

Max refers to ADSL Max (20CN), you're on a Fibre service so you're upload will already be provided at the fastest you can get.
danieljohn
Grafter

Hi,
Max Premium advertises (https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20) 832kbps. I assume this is kilo bits per second? If so I already get double that anyway, Is this trial for non-Fibre people? I guess so.
Thanks for all the help,
Dan
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Dan,
Max Premium is only applicable to 20CN customers, so those who are on an 'Up to 6Mb' product.
21C Products:
ADSL2 (Up to 16Mb) Can have the upload speeds uncapped at no extra cost
FTTC (Fibre - Up to 38 / 76Mb) already have their upload speeds uncapped at either 10Mb/20Mb (Broadband Product dependant).
danieljohn
Grafter

Hi,
In reference to my earlier point, maybe you should traffic manage uploading on your network, otherwise surely peer-to-peer and vpn / ssh traffic are treated the same, potentially slowing down ssh / vpn traffic? Maybe not for an individual user (they can just turn off P2P when using ssh / vpn if they know that you don't manage upload), but over the whole network you must have some significant P2P uploading traffic that could compete alongside ssh traffic when it shouldn't be?
In short, I'd love for you to identify my ssh upload traffic and give it a nice high guaranteed priority!
Best,
Dan
redbull2k14
Grafter

If you don't apply traffic management on your upload.  What priority does it have? curious customer.
danieljohn
Grafter

Yes,
this point again please. It sounds like all uploading traffic, whether it be vpn or P2P is treated the same....this can't be optimal?
Best,
Dan
gofaster
Rising Star

It's not optimal.
But traffic management can only be done from the sending end, if you think about it.
What you need is a modem/router that supports QOS (Quality Of Service) which can prioritize the streams being sent from your end..