cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding for CCTV?

karenpurdy

Port Forwarding for CCTV?

Hi all,
First time to all this.  We have installed CCTV and got it running on an app on the iphone.  But, apparantly you need a static ip address and to port forward to view outside the building.  Have static ip address now, but am getting stuck with this port forwarding malarky.
The networking guide states to program port 5000-5002 to the DVR's local IP address.  So, I have entered 5000 to 5002 under TCP and UDP, but what do put into 'translate to'? The DVR's local IP address - it won't accept it?
Please help.  I am a girl trying to follow instructions, but this is all chinese to me! Grin
15 REPLIES 15
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Port Forwarding for CCTV?

Leave translate blank.
You may also need to port forward port 80 tcp to the dvr.
karenpurdy

It automatically populates Translates to' to the same ports 5000 to 5002.
So, what should I have:
TCP, Port Range 5000-5002
UDP, Port Range 80-80
?
Then device is what?  The iphone, local host???
Just don't understand what this all is!
npr
Pro

No, port 80 needs to be TCP and ports 5000-5002 probably needs to be both.
You should end up with the rule:
TCP, Port Range 5000-5002
UDP, Port Range 5000-5002
TCP, Port Range 80-80
You then assign this rule to the DVR device.
The following link may help, just ignore the bit about port translation and of course you're using different ports.
http://npr.me.uk/pf/
Good luck, let us know how you get on.
karenpurdy

Hi again
So making progress but still not quite there!
The port 5000 is open, but not the port 80?  It does say:
TCP Port range 80 - 80
And DVR device I entered the unique IP address to it.
Any ideas?
Thanks
npr
Pro

The DVR may be using a different port, the default is often port 80 but not always.
Can you re-check the manual for which ports are used?
Can you also post a web link to a manual for the DVR.
karenpurdy

Hi
This is what they sent me...
Thanks so much for perserving with me!
avatastic
Grafter

Hi Karen,
Assuming you're using the Plusnet provided router:
Set protocol to 'Any'
For port range, first box is 5000 second is 5002
Everything else can be left as default.
Once this range is defined,  go to Game and Application sharing and the Assign a game or application to a local network device.
The camera should appear in the list, if not I'm going to have to defer to someone more familiar with the Plusnet router.
(I was working from this guide for my cherry picked instructions.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
npr
Pro

Thanks for the "networking guide" for your dvr. I'm not surprised you're having trouble, the guide isn't that helpful if you haven't do this kind of thing before.
Firstly, please unassign any port forward rules and lets start afresh.
Step 4 in the guide:
It doesn't say if there's a "automatically get IP addresses (DHCP)" option. If there is then that's preferable but you may need help finding which IP address has been assigned. Shout up if that's the case.
Assuming you need to enter the IP addresses in step 4, please use the following:
IP address: 192.168.1.10
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Primary dns: 192.168.1.254
Secondary dns: 8.8.8.8
Media port: 5001
HTTP port: 5000
Set the mobile port as per the instruction to 5002.
As avatastic says you need to create or modify your portforward rule to:
Protocol "Any"
Port Range: 5000  to  5002
When you click add it will create two lines, one for TCP and the second for UDP both showing the same port numbers.
All you need do now is assign the portforward rule to the dvr.
If you have problems with this bit, start from the routers "home network" page and click on the ethernet number used by the dvr. From there the dvr should be the default device selected and you just need to assign the portforward rule you created.
Good luck, let us know how you get on -- if need be I'll do some screen captures to guide you, but that will have to be another day when I've got a technicolor router running.
karenpurdy

Hi
OK - I have recreated a new port forwarding rule which i have double and triple checked as per both your instructions.  The ports are open but it still isn't working - ie no camera pictures on the 4G  (it is working on the wireless).
I suppose I need to plug in the TV to the DVR to check all the settings again in step 4, but I swear they are all correct.  Surely the wireless method wouldn't work if they were wrong?  I did automatically get the ip address from being on the phone with plusnet by putting in the ethernet cable I think.  This matches the one on the "home network" page and clicking on the ethernet number.  So I assume thats not the problem.
God, why it this so bloody difficult  Angry
avatastic
Grafter

To eliminate a potential problem with the 4G network not allowing you to view the camera, if you want to drop me a pm with your current ip address I'll see if I can see it from my connection here for you?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
npr
Pro

Quote from: karenpurdy

I did automatically get the ip address from being on the phone with plusnet by putting in the ethernet cable I think.  This matches the one on the "home network" page and clicking on the ethernet number.  So I assume thats not the problem.
God, why it this so bloody difficult  Angry

If I understand you correctly that's your LAN IP address. Can you please post the first part of it to confirm this -- if it starts 192.168.1.X then yes you are using the LAN IP.
The LAN IP address is correct for assigning the port forward rule in the router but not correct for entering in your phone.
To access you camera pictures by 4G or any device using the internet you need to enter your WAN IP address in the section "How to access you DVR remotely" of the guide not your LAN IP address.
You can find your WAN IP address here (only works from your home connection): http://www.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/check_ip.cgi
Try using the address show from the above link in the section "How to access you DVR remotely" of the guide.
Note:
Your plusnet WAN IP address will change every time your router reboots. You can overcome this by getting a static IP address from plusnet, IIRC it's a one off fee of £5.
Good luck.
karenpurdy

Hi hi!  Sorry I have been away.  Thank you both for your responses.
Yes from what you say I was using the LAN ip address.  So when I click on the link you supplied at home on wifi,  I get something completely different starting 80.229.xxx.xx
I have already purchased a static ip.  Have put the above WAN ip address into my phone so will leave the house as only on gprs when I turn wifi off, and see if it works!!!  Will update results
dragon2611
Grafter

Personally I'd think twice about port fowarding one of these CCTV DVR/s/ IP cameras and thus exposing it to the open internet at large.
A lot of them have horridously insecure firmware and can easily be hacked, and then used as a springboard to get into other devices on the network  Undecided
NedLudd
Grafter

I use a TP-Link IP camera connected to a TP-Link router. It is necessary to enter the port number as well as the IP address to view the camera!
Viz http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:ppppp
Geoff,
York.