cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding Problem Plz someone help arghhhhhhhhhhh!

petsyb
Grafter

Port Forwarding Problem Plz someone help arghhhhhhhhhhh!

Wont port forward
Hi,
I have just installed a R-ADSL-C4-W-G1 wireless ADSL modem the pc with the webcam is connected directly via network cable
all worked fine using my old USB modem

I have disabled all software firewalls and the routers firewall set 'Virtual Servers' to forward port 85 to my pc's IP of *.76 and it just will not work

I have also tried setting DMZ host to *.76 and still no joy

if I connect to my internet IP on port 80 I get access to my router however on the same IP but on port 85 no joy. if I connect to *.76:85 (local) webcam xp comes straight up !

Please any help would be appreciated

6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Port Forwarding Problem Plz someone help arghhhhhhhhhhh!

I don't know your camera or router but the following may be helpful.
1) You need to have NAT enabled on the router - is this the case?
2) If the webcam is connected directly to the router then would the webcam itself not have its own IP address to which you forward port 85 to (i.e. not your own PC's IP address). How are you accessing the config screen of the webcam or does the S/W running on your PC do that automatcally? Also the webcam needs to have a static IP address configured.
3) If the intention is to access the webcam remotely, should it not have the HTTP web server running to listen to and respond to connection attempts on port 85.
4) If you had a USB modem, where was the webcam connected to and how when you were using it?
5) You cannot use your PlusNet IP address to access systems internally on your local IP network. This is because the router will get confused and in your case the router offers the local configuration screen as if you used its local IP address. If I were to try it I would most likely get nowhere as most routers have configuration from the internet disabled.
petsyb
Grafter

thanks for the reply
nat is enabled
the webcam is connected to my pc on ip *.76 running http server (webcamxp)
before i could connect directly from the web (when on my old modem)
I dont need to acces my router via the internet, i just mentioned that to prove i was connecting to the correct ip from via the web (that is port80) my router just seems not to want to forward my external ip:85 to my set internal ip *.76:85
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

How is the webcam connected to your PC? via USB, via UTP/Ethernet (i.e. a 2nd network card) or via another method?
This is important as I don't understand when you say the webcam is connected to *.76.
The setup screen for the webcam has a red X next to the HTTP webserver suggesting the webcam's webserver is not running. Should it be?
When you used the USB modem, your PC used your Plusnet IP. When using a router, your PC uses an IP address on your local network (*.76) so the webcam software may need to be changed accordingly.
petsyb
Grafter

Hi,
the webcam is just a usb webcam , that uses 'webcamxp's http server' this sits on my pc on ip 192.9.200.76
the adsl router is set to forward any incoming or outgoing request on port 85 to my local network ip of 192.9.200.76
only it should work but it doesnt  Embarrassed
the red square on webcamxp means if you press it the htttp server will stop
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Try changing the internet IP address on the webcamxp setup screen to your local IP or 127.0.0.1
petsyb
Grafter

wheeeeeeeeee it works many thanks for your help peter
changed ip and woks fine now, how bizare
many many thanks
Steve.