cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port 80 open

FranklyMe

Port 80 open

Hi, sorry if this topic has been covered before but I couldn't find a serch box to query. Shields Up reports that port 80 is open on my technicolor router and this is a potential risk but I can not find any way to close it. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Port 80 open

@'FranklyMe' - Welcome to the forum  !   Smiley

Three possibilities come to mind -
1)  You might have a port forwarding rule configured, probably pointing to a web server or games console on your LAN.
       Delete the port forward rule for port 80.
2)  If your router has UPnP enabled, then anything on your network could have opened port 80.
       Disable UPnP in the router.
3)  You might have remote web interface management of your router enabled, so that your router can be configured using a browser from anywhere on the internet.
       Disable remote HTTP management in the router.
Wink

For anyone else that is interested in using "ShieldsUp!", here's the link - https://www.grc.com/Shieldsup!

FranklyMe

Well thank you very much purleigh, it was actually your number 2 possibility. I have a device that is connected to the router that was using UPnP. Have now turned off UPnP, set up a port forward rule maually and Shields Up now reports all clear. I don't know if this would have been a serious risk or not, if UPnP is risky then why allow it at all?
Anyway many thanks for the good advice and the welcome  8).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool
I'm glad to have had the answer !  Wink
A forward on port 80 is unlikely to be much of a risk.
UPnP under normal circumstances is probably OK, but if something malicious on your network wanted to open your network to the world then router enabled UPnP might make that easier.
Knowing that ShieldsUp shows that you are now completely stealthed or invisible, is reassuring, and it is good that you are aware of the potential dangers of open ports.