cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port 1000

furryferret

Port 1000

Can anyone pse confirm that port 10000 is not blocked. My company has just issued new VPN software and I cannot get the blessed thing to connect. I am using the Cisco VPN software and a NetGear wireless router. The software connects fine using other ISPs, so I'm pretty sure that the problem is in the PlusNet setup. My PlusNet firewall is off.
5 REPLIES 5
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Port 1000

Hi,
There shouldn't be any problems with that port, Cisco VPN is defined on the Ellacoyas and that's the default port so it should be fine. I note that you changing the broadband firewall settings this evening to off, some people have had problems with VPN with the firewall on, can you try disconnecting and reconnecting again first off in case the change didn't take effect immediately?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
furryferret

Hello,
This is really odd. I have cycled the PlusNet firewall as you suggest and it is definitely off. Strangely, I can connect using a wired connection on the router (Netgear DG834), but cannot connect when using wireless, the client shuts the connection and a tracert shows the route breaking down before it hits my company VPN server. Any thoughts?.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

What firewall do you have on your laptop?
Sounds like there is a different firewall settings for the wired and wireless links on your laptop. You could try disabling the firewall temporarily to see if that is affecting the connection.
The fact that the wired connection works rules out both the PN firewall and your router so the problem must be on your laptop.
furryferret

Hmmm. i agree with your logic, but running a tracert to the destination IP address fails at: -
ge0-0-483.pte-gwz.plus.net [84.92.4.2]
Does this shed any light on the matter?. Colleagues using exactly the same router and standard settings, with the same "locked-down" VPN client are having no problems
rgds
paulby
Grafter

I had the same problem with my wife's VPN into her office.  It did turn out to be a firewall problem - Norton (which is what her company use) had classified the wireless connection differently from the wired.  Disabling the firewall for two minutes diagnosed the problem and running the Network Wizard in Norton fixed it!
Also check that you are only running one firewall on your PC - i.e. either the Windows Firewall or Norton/Zone Alarm etc.  Running two firewalls can also cause problems.