cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi speed / droppage

FIXED
Sadinthehills

Poor wifi speed / droppage

Ok, so I have a standard ADSL broadband with a Technicolour Gateway router, through quite old phone lines, in a big old house with thick stone walls. Sadly fibre isn't an option due to location, and moving the router from it's current location would require a lot of wiring.

My issue is generally poor broadband, drop out, difficulty in connecting devices around the house. I have tried several different extenders with limited success and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions - do I need a better router (probably)?

I'm currently looking at a TP-Link AC1750 that wouldn't connect anything to the router but itself but I have managed to get the old Huawie WS320 running again. I don't want to spend hundreds and I'm not trying to run Megacorp Inc from home, I just want to keep the Playstation connected so my kids don't shout at me!

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Poor wifi speed / droppage

Fix

Welcome to the forum

You would get better WiFi coverage from a BT Smarthub 6. These can be bought from Ebay for around £20-30. Whether this would give sufficient improvement you will not know of course unless you try. The setting up instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

You need the FTTC model (most are). These are easily identified as they have four yellow LAN sockets on the back. The other FTTP model has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets. If you want to go down this route and need more advice do come back here, there's many of us successfully using them.

Another option if wifi extenders have failed is to try Powerline units, but again, these can be flaky. It all depends on your house mains wiring arrangement. This might help https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Sadinthehills,

Thank you for getting in touch.

After checking your wireless extender, it appears to be connected to the router then boosts the signal from its location. The difficulty with this is that if the signal from the router to the extender is weak, it will then boost an already week signal. Something to consider is the signal strength from the router to the location of the wireless extender. If it is weak, you can try improving it by changing the wireless channel with this guide.

If it is solely the PlayStation that you need to function consistently, you may want to look at a pair of power-line adapters (possibly with a wireless extender built in) or if it is multiple devices @Baldrick1 suggestion could be the answer, unless the thick stone walls are proving to be a large portion of the issue.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Sadinthehills

Thanks for the suggestion - I have bought the new router from ebay, and will give it a try when it arrives, fingers crossed Smiley

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Sadinthehills, let us know how you get on Smiley 

Sadinthehills

The new router has had no drop-out yet, a week in, so all good. Now I just need to find out how to get a ten year old off Fortnite...

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Sadinthehills, I'm glad to hear things seemed to have improved... let's hope it stay like that! Just get back to us if you have any further issues.

Also, good luck with that Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team