cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi performance from plusnet 582n

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: Poor wifi performance from plusnet 582n

Hmm. Very odd indeed. I was pretty sure they were always made with USB ports. Apart from that, is the software the same, etc.?
macman2
Grafter

Software seems the same, Its missing all of the ftp options and the usb port scanner. It almost like this is a different model and has the wrong sticker attached.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Did you get the original on a trial?
macman2
Grafter

nope, I only ordered the box 1 week ago today.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Then I am completely stumped. I'll do some research, and if I here anything I'll let you know.
macman2
Grafter

Sorry for bumping but anyone from plusnet reading?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Not on a weekend, unless there's a major network issue!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I believe the newer batch don't come with the USB socket, though I'm not sure what support there was for it in the routers that have the socket there. Sorry for the inconvenience there though.
Anotherone
Champion

I thought I'd seen a thread or two where the USB was working with Memory sticks and Fat32 HDD's.
frank39
Grafter

The USB port worked well, with an HDD attached it provided a limited NAS, a sort of personal cloud and a media server facility.  The password options were a bit basic and it was slow compared with WD My Book Live, but for a free option it was great.  I kept  jpeg copies of my photo catalogue on it - this I could read with my TV and my iPad (remotely by ftp and locally by file browser).  I am sure that some users will be sorry to lose it.
macman2
Grafter

Hello,
I dont mean to sound like an ass, But I want one with the USB port. My original one came with a USB port and so I expect the replacement to come with a USB port.
Can I get another with a USB port sent out?
Thanks
macman2
Grafter

Quote from: frank39
The USB port worked well, with an HDD attached it provided a limited NAS, a sort of personal cloud and a media server facility.  The password options were a bit basic and it was slow compared with WD My Book Live, but for a free option it was great.  I kept  jpeg copies of my photo catalogue on it - this I could read with my TV and my iPad (remotely by ftp and locally by file browser).  I am sure that some users will be sorry to lose it.

I agree. This is what I pretty much wanted to do as well. Apparently you can plug in a printer as well but I don't remember where I saw instructions (I think it was on the BE* userwiki or something)
prichardson
Grafter

Hi All,
We have indeed switched to a TG582 without a USB port in it, which includes the device mould.
I'll look into providing some more detail on why we have done this tomorrow, however we have never advertised the equipment as offering some of the features some may find they have benefited from.
macman2
Grafter

Hello,
I understand that you never advertised it as having a USB port. But Technicolour list on their product page as it having a USB port and carries the TG582n model name. If your offering this new model that has no USB port then I think it should have a different model name to stop confusion or some way to tell the difference.
If there is no way of me having the box I originally asked for (The PROPER TG582n) then can you please take both back and cancel the contract. I wanted/needed the USB port and if I cant get that on one then I will go back to my belkin.
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion

Took the thoughts out of my mind, I would not be amused if I was lumbered with £40 for the thing, deferred or not, if it wasn't what I expected. I'd probably want to spend my money elsewhere.