Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi performance from plusnet 582n

macman2
Grafter

Poor wifi performance from plusnet 582n

Hello,
I am having a lot of wifi issues with the plusnet 582n router, My old belkin g+ mimo used to cover the entire house, This thing seems to not leave the room where it is. Where we used to get 3 bars far away, we cant get a connection. Even my tablet in the room next door to the router reports 1 bar and its slow.
Faulty box? Or is it just a shocking box for its wifi range? As I understand it N is supposed to have better range not worse.
Anyone got any tips to boost the signal?
Thanks
65 REPLIES 65
macman2
Grafter

Re: Poor wifi performance from plusnet 582n

Slight bump but its a update, The wifi shows up as 1 to 2 bars where we used to get 4-5 but cant connect to the internet, Im starting to think its a faulty box. Anyone got any suggestions?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Try turning off the wireless n if you didn't use it before this modem/router, I've heard that may help, but I've also heard of a couple of similar problems with n band. Not really my speciality this, but give it a try.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi macman2,
I am sorry to hear that you are having Wireless issues with your router. It might be worth checking to see if there are any updates for your Firmware.
Also it might be worth taking a look here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,99785.msg845171.html - be careful if you are to follow any instructions from this page.
Hope this helps Smiley
macman2
Grafter

Hello,
That command did nothing and it seems that when you reboot it forgets the commands you type anyway (It forgot my custom DNS).
Call me blind but I dont see a option for changing what Wi-Fi types it ueses, I did try turning of the "B" band as I dont use it but could not find the option.
Overall im very disappointed with this box, I wonder if plusnet will remove the 12 month contract it added if i send it back?
Thanks for looking
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You do need to remember to click on "Apply" wherever it is on the page.
Try this help for the wireless
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,
Any comments you put into telnet, such as amending the DNS, will automatically save to the configuration file every 60 seconds.
Can you let us know some more details on what you specifically did, including times that led to the information being lost?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Attempting to turn off 11B mode makes no sense because the slower B bitrates have the longest range.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi macman2,
Thank you for your time on the Phone today. From the checks that I have conducted with you it looks as though you have a Faulty router. We will see how the replacement goes once you receive it. Please keep us posted on here on how things go and if we can help any further for you. I've popped a ticket on your account with regards to our conversation.
Thanks again Smiley
macman2
Grafter

Hello,

A new box arrived today, first thing I noticed was the filters looked different (Newer batch maybe?) Plugged it all in and I can thankfully say its working, Usual bars on the computers and its fast.
Download and Upload speeds are normal again.

Thanks everyone who suggested fixes and thanks Chris for sorting me out with a new box, Only thing that has not come yet is the return bag for the old one. Sent separately maybe?
Thanks again.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi macman2,
I'm glad to hear that the new router has resolved the issue for you. The returns bag should have come with the router, if not, I will arrange for one to be sent out for you separately, that's not a problem. The filters that we have sent may be a little bit smaller than some of the older ones, you can never have too many microfilters! Smiley
If there is anything else I can do, feel free to give me a shout Smiley

P.S - If the returns bag didn't arrive, I'll send a new one out for you on Monday.
macman2
Grafter

Hello,
I have just noticed one huge difference now, The new one does not have a USB port. What's going on?
Have you stopped making them with USB ports? Or am I just having bad luck?
I know im being fussy now, But the whole point of me ordering one of these was for N and the USB port. So if there is no USB port you can have them both back.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: macman2
Hello,
I have just noticed one huge difference now, The new one does not have a USB port. What's going on?
Have you stopped making them with USB ports? Or am I just having bad luck?
I know im being fussy now, But the whole point of me ordering one of these was for N and the USB port. So if there is no USB port you can have them both back.

Are you sure it is a TG582N in that case? Because all TG582n modem routers have USB ports.
macman2
Grafter

Yes im sure, It says TG582n on the base of it and looks (almost) identical to the broken one.
macman2
Grafter

Here is a (cappy) picture of the two.
Faulty one is on top.
Also before anyone says it, yes I looked on the other side and the back.