Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor upload speed

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Poor upload speed

I'm currently trying to backup my entire photo collection to cloud storage but upload is painfully slow at 0.30 Mbps (speed tested with no other devices on network, firewall & antivirus disabled and connected by Ethernet)
I believe you can request the upload speed to be uncapped but I am concerned that this might effect download speed as some mention might happen and as this is a more one off exercise I would prefer download speeds were given priority usually.
Does anyone have any experience regarding this?
I am 805 mtrs away from the exchange if that helps, someone on another forum said it might have an effect.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Poor upload speed

The quick way to check is to post your router stats - noise margin, speed and attenuation
However if your distance is correct then any reduction in download speed will be very marginal
rja66
Rising Star

Thanks Oldjim, does this help?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It does
Your upload is already uncapped
Can you post the full results of a speed test - it doesn't really matter which one as you should be seeing upload speeds around 900kbps
This is a quick one http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
In addition please post the results of a BT speedtest further diagnostics as the upload IP profile just might be screwed up
rja66
Rising Star

Ok, that's interesting.
It's showing 17671 download, 567 upload (and that was without disabling firewall & anti virus again)
Maybe it was the Ookla speed tester at fault?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is still low
Can you try the BT speedtest Further diagnostics - ignore all the preamble
rja66
Rising Star

Roll_eyes Ahhh, It's my fault, I connected the Ethernet cable and thought I'd disabled the wireless, evidently not.
I re-ran the my broadband speedtest and now show 1009 Kbps upload
BT is showing 17.7 Mb download, 1 Mb upload
I take it that is about the best I can expect?
Sorry about that Oldjim, but thanks so much for your help though, much appreciated
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yup that is about the best you can get although I have no idea why the upload is so badly affected when on wireless
However you might like to consider a better router - others on here will throw in their opinions as the one I have got works fine as the main computers are wired and the tablet and phones seem to work OK around the house
rja66
Rising Star

Yes the wireless does seem poor considering the laptop is about 5 ft away from the router.
I usually use my iPad these days and don't have many problems however.
Having re-run the speedtests a couple more times they do vary, just got a 567, an 866 and a 950 upload. It seems to vary quite a bit. I'm not too sure how accurate these tests are.
The Technicolor router has always been pretty good as far as I'm concerned, so much better than my previous Belkin. I will probably look to upgrade at some point though when funds allow. Thanks for the tip.