Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor synch after reconnect

mauler
Dabbler

Poor synch after reconnect

Hi
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but worth a try......
Got moved onto the trial last Thursday and all seemed fine, around 8000 sync (previously 6000) and upstream was about 1000 (previously 448), attenuation is now 42 (previously 39). Then the connection dropped and re-synced at 288 kbps downstream with gigantic SNR of 33.4db. Upstream was still fine.
Been the same since Friday and no sign of improvement, takes ages to load a web page and downloads are a complete no-go as they cripple the already poor connection.
There was apparently a problem with the migration over to the trial but was told it's sorted and to wait until my profile updates at the exchange, but if nothing has happened in 5 days so far, how long will I have to wait for a more usable speed?Huh
Before the trial I had SNR around 6db with a solid connection.
I have asked PN to see if my SNR can be reduced manually but no luck so far, I understand how busy they must be at the moment so thought I'd see if anyone had any similar experience and if so, how did you sort it???!!
Any advice much appreciated
Thanks
24 REPLIES 24
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Poor synch after reconnect

[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo) split from question thread for better visibility]
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ctech500
Grafter

Hi @mauler
Welcome to the forums
Your service is still going through the 10 days stabilisation period so I doubt if Plusnet would put in a order to lower your snr at this stage.
I had a similar experience during the early days of the trail it took about 2-3 weeks to settle down.

My understanding is any tickets raised under ADSL2+(21CN)  are escalated to the comms team so they may take a little longer to get actioned.
(I could be wrong however)

mauler
Dabbler

Hi ctech500
Thanks a lot for your input and for the info, I guess I'm just going to have to be a bit more patient!
Cheers
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's not clear to me from your post - have you actually tried restarting your router since the migration problem was sorted out?
It gives a better picture if you post your full line stats (sync speeds, attenuations and SNR (noise) margins, downstream and upstream). Also post the results from a BT Performance Test and the Current line speed shown in the Member Centre.
David
David
mauler
Dabbler

Hi David
Yes, I have tried rebooting my router once a day since the migration problem was sorted, but it always comes back exactly the same.
My line stats are...
Donwstream sync  288  Upstream 1059
Downstream SNR margin 33.4  Upstream 6.5
Downstream Att  42  Upstream 23.5
My current line speed shown in the member centre is 250.
I am not home at the moment so cannot run a BT performance test, will do as soon as I finish work at 5.

Many thanks
Adam
James
Grafter

Adam,
Raise a fault.  If you've tried eliminating your internal wiring and filtering and you're still having that problem, there's an issue on your line.
Try using a different router if possible, otherwise we can lend you one.
mauler
Dabbler

Jameseh
Thanks for the reply, I have raised a fault and the line was tested. I have since changed the old style socket with a new one and plugged the router into the test socket, the stats were the same.
The results of the test were..........

Test OutCome Pass
Circuit Sync Status Circuit In Sync
Mux Port Status N/A
Upstream Link Info
Loop Loss 23.8
Loop Loss Add Text N/A
SNR Margin 6.5
Errored Seconds 2
HecErrors 1
Cell Count 2756
Speed 1039
Downstream Link Info
Loop Loss 42
Loop Loss Add Text N/A
SNR Margin 33.5
Errored Seconds 0
HecErrors N/A
Cell Count 3922
Speed 288
DSL Max Data
BIP Interface Data
Current line rate 250
Line rate change timestamp 05/05/2009 00:00:00
Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated N
ProfileTimestamp 01/01/1111 01:00:00
Maximum Stable Rate 2272
Fault Threshold Rate 2272
Interleaving Flag A
NTE Detail
Equipment Status N/A
Power Status NTE Power On
BypassStatus N/A
Outcome Summary
Test OutCome Pass
Description OK.
James
Grafter

The SNR margin on your downstream is MASSIVE.  That's what's causing your synchronisation speed to be very low.
Are you able to try testing with a different router?  Are you able to hear any noise on your line when you pick up your phone?
mauler
Dabbler

I haven't tried a different router yet, currently using a Netgear DG834GT but will try a Linksys one tonight.
I have tried reducing the SNR with RouterStats and the DGTeam firmware, but it doesn't adjust it at all.
I can hear no noise on the phone, it is the same as before the migration.
Thanks
James
Grafter

Great thanks.
Let me know if the router change works, otherwise I'll make sure that your fault is raised with BT.
mauler
Dabbler

Will do, thanks a lot for the replies.
Adam
ctech500
Grafter

Hi Adam
Just to add i had a very similar experience DLM went nuts I remember asking jamesh to do a Cease and Re-provide at one stage my snr was about 20db at one stage
The Netgear DG834GT is a good router.
Tweaking your snr with dgteam firmware is not going to work at this stage the DLM is looking for stability and will do what it takes to achieve this, high SNR being the outcome.
keep snr @100% until the snr falls to say 10db then tweak in down slowly.

Lloyd
mauler
Dabbler

Just got in and was about to try a Linksys router, checked the stats first and.....
            Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 5376 kbps         1059 kbps
Line Attenuation         42.0 db                 23.9 db
Noise Margin         14.8 db                 4.9 db
mauler
Dabbler

Excuse the alignment, didnt mean to submit it yet!!
Big improvement today, although still not great speed and SNR, I am happy that it has gone from 288kbps to 5376kbps, just got to wait for the profile to catch up now.
Not going to swap routers anymore Jameseh, too scared to disconnect! Thanks for all the input , likewise ctech500. Much appreciated.
I will post any further changes just in case anyone else has the problem, and hopefully my speed will continue to improve over the next few days/weeks.
Cheers
Adam