cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor speeds

Whlzibos
Dabbler

Poor speeds

Im on plusnet extra moving onto unlimited and the speeds i get are ridiculously slow,  i do all those internet speed tests and get around 15meg but i when i download the max i get it 1mb and when i play a simple game like minecraft on my pc i get lag nearly every  second and goes on until i get  disconnected which is really annoying. What can i do to increase the gaming speed and the speed overall. I did connect Using ethernet and wifi no difference.
Any thing i can do
15 REPLIES 15
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Poor speeds

Hi there,
Just checked your line and you've been connected for over 40 hours and your line profile on our side and BTs is at 17300 so there's nothing there that could be slowing you down. Is it any particular server or site that's slow to download, and is it all the time? Also what does a BT speed test show (http://www.speedtester.bt.com) for both your download speed and your line profile?
Whlzibos
Dabbler

this is wireless in the same room as the router,if i got the speeds that i got from the tests i will be very happy but i don't even receive half of what i see.
anything else i can do,and what are the actual speeds i'm meant to be getting i know i wont get 15mb
anything else i can do ?
CX
Grafter

Quote from: Whlzibos
when i play a simple game like minecraft on my pc i get lag nearly every  second and goes on until i get  disconnected which is really annoying

Do you mean that your whole PC is slow whilst you're using playing Minecraft?
It could be bad drivers for the wireless card/adapter, or another device in your PC such as the graphics adapter (particularly if it only occurs when playing Minecraft).
Whlzibos
Dabbler

speedtest.net
Whlzibos
Dabbler

Whlzibos
Dabbler

Quote from: CX
Quote from: Whlzibos
when i play a simple game like minecraft on my pc i get lag nearly every  second and goes on until i get  disconnected which is really annoying

Do you mean that your whole PC is slow whilst you're using playing Minecraft?
It could be bad drivers for the wireless card/adapter, or another device in your PC such as the graphics adapter (particularly if it only occurs when playing Minecraft).

no my pc isnt slow its internet related lag,i can play it normally i play gta iv with little lag so i think i can play minecraft without pc lag Cheesy
Whlzibos
Dabbler

This is my internet in action,i dont see 15mb  Cry 
its Microsoft so i believe this is the fastest ill actually get
CX
Grafter

Multiply by 8 to convert Bytes to bits.
1929KB/s = 15.8Mbps.
(1929 * 1024 to get Bytes per second, then * 8 to get Bits per second, then /1000 to get Kilobits, then /1000 to Megabits)
Whlzibos
Dabbler

Quote from: CX
Multiply by 8 to convert Bytes to bits.
1929KB/s = 15.4Mbps.

wow i did not know that i changes the setting on speedtest.net and im getting 2mb now,then its my upload speeds that is the problem
i dont think half of the people dont know the difference  Crazy
CX
Grafter

The upload appears to be capped at 448kbps. You should be able to get it uncapped for free just by asking Plusnet, which will give you anywhere up to 1Mbps upload.
Whlzibos
Dabbler

Thanks you very much for telling me the difference cx lol didnt know the difference all these years  Cheesy
Can a member of staff increase the upload limit plz
Much appreciated
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

That's been placed for you, it will complete on Monday for you.
Whlzibos
Dabbler

Last question,  i clicked on change product and selected unlimited. It will go active on my next payment (tomorrow )  do i have to do anything or will it move on its own and will my contract start again.
Im on extra 60gb now and my line speed is 18 it says its going to change to 8??
Thanks for your time
Estragon
Rising Star

Your speeds won't change.  Estimates are all to pot these days, since OfCom and the ASA changed the advertising speeds.