cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor speeds - longstanding problem

Marcus
Dabbler

Poor speeds - longstanding problem

I have very poor connection speeds, and despite calling CS in the past have not seemed to get any improvement. I recently posted on rants and raves and was advised to raise the issue here.
Bt speedtest results below.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 224 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 110 kbps
What is going on?
47 REPLIES 47
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Poor speeds - longstanding problem

Can you get the stats from your router - speeds, noise margin and attenuation.
If you don't know how this may help http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Marcus
Dabbler

See below...
Line mode G.dmt  Line state Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave  Line Up Time 00:00:30:28 
Line Coding Trellis On  Line Up Count 1 

Statistics    Downstream      Upstream 
Line Rate      224 Kbps        448 Kbps 
Noise Margin 13.9 dB            9.0 dB 
Line Attenuation 29.5 dB      19.5 dB 
Output Power    14.0 dBm    12.4 dBm 

RS Correctable Errors 24699 20107 
RS Uncorrectable Errors 662 0 
HEC Errors          123              0 
OCD Errors          0                  0 
LCD Errors          0                  0 
ES Errors              0                  0 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Those stats are terrible! When you use the phone is there any noise on the line?
The up time is only 30 minutes - had you rebooted or has the router been on for longer than that?
Edit: More questions
Have you got any extensions around the house for your phone?
If you have extensions, is the router in an extension or the master socket?
Do you use any phone socket doublers (apart from the filter) or extension leads?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Marcus
Dabbler

I tried to run test 2 on speedtest which required a reboot of the router. Occasional however I loose the connection and after several retries it manages to reconnect.
I have a connection box as the line comes into the house as the wiring was too short to reach the original socket when we moved in. Since then two connection boxes had to be fitted, onewhen broadband was installed and one when decorators broke the line.
These stat are obtained with all the phone disconnected from the sockets. I have only one socket in addition to the one the router is connected to but I'm not entirely sure wich is the master socket (all lines have been set behind plaster)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Has one of the sockets got a removable lower half like this?

If so that will be the master and the test socket is the one inside. If you remove the front can you make sure that the other socket stops working.
Can you then plug the router in to the test socket using only the filter without any extension leads and get the stats when connected like that please.
You didn't say if you can hear any noise on the line when you use the phone.
Marcus
Dabbler

In that case the router IS connected to the master socket, but there are 2 connection boxes between it and the external line.
I'll have to test your suggestion tomorrow. Back online 5pm. Thanks
BTW Can't say we get alot of noise on the line.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Does the other socket stop working if you take the front off? I'm just slightly concerned that there may be something funny with these extra extension boxes.
Your sync speed is very low considering the attenuation. Have you been able to try a different router and filter? I'd be tempted to suggest that you tried your router and filter at a friends house but it might mess up their connection.
If using the test socket doesn't show a significant improvement in the routers stats a known good filter and router is the next step. If you can't borrow one you may be able to get Plusnet to send you one.
Marcus
Dabbler

Sorry about the delay - problem reconecting after disconnecting the router.
The other connection box continues to work when the front of the master socket is removed.
The front of the master socket is connected to the back by 2 wires - is that right?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Oh dear! When the front of the master socket is taken off the other socket should stop working. It is therefore not wired up correctly. Was this all installed by BT or has someone else been dabbling?
Marcus
Dabbler

wiring was disconnected a re-routed by electrician during decorating....
That is likely the problem then.
Next step BT?
scootie
Grafter

yep sounds like the chuckle brothers installed that lot. you might be able to salvage it your self with the help of JELV.
if you get bt in to rewire they will defo be a price to pay.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Marcus,
Going to BT at this point could cost an arm and a leg if someone has been tampering. Let's see what advise we can give first.
You have talked about " connection" boxes.You mentioned a connection box as the line comes into the house, plus a connection box when broadband was installed, and one after the decorators broke a wire (that's 3 by my counting). Then there is one socket in addition to the master where the router plugged in. Then you say there are two connector boxes between the master and the external line (and the other "connection" box continues to work when the front of the master socket is removed). So I'm a bit confused as to what's where and what's a socket or connector. I think I can guess what you're meaning, but we need to be exact about this.
Can you take and post any pictures of each of these boxes/sockets starting from where the external line comes in? Mention who installed each one (so we can offer the best advice) and do them in order with any supplementary comment if needed. Also one picture of the master socket wires that you mentioned.
Also explain what you normally have plugged in, how and where it's plugged in.
You also said "Can't say we get alot of noise on the line". The point is do you get ANY crackling or other intermittent noises or continuous noises on the line and when. Also confirm if any noise is present when just a phone is plugged in via a filter (router unplugged) at the master. The phone should be a corded one. If you have a DECT, unplug it and switch it off.
If you post back all the info. we'll try and guide you from there.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What you should have is the main line coming in going straight in to master socket. Connection boxes along the way are OKish as long as they don't have one wire in two wires out, or any other sockets along the way (however each connection box will degrade the signal slightly).
At the master socket any other extensions are to be wired to the back of the removable lower half of the face plate. That is why all other extensions should stop working when that is removed. That is alse why we ask for people to test using the test socket shown in the picture in my first post as it takes all the other sockets out of the equation.
If you got BT in it is likely that they would want to put the master socket where the first connection box is after their line first enters the house - would that be totally inconvenient? Would the router be able to go there?
As well as the pictures I wonder if you could draw a diagram showing how things are arranged and scan/photograph that to upload. (You can attach pictures if you expand the Additional Options just under the composition box when making a post - you don't need to upload them anywhere else first).
Marcus
Dabbler

Attached is the wiring diagram as far as I can decipher it.
Until I had a closer look I had not realised that the socket above the door where the line comes into the house is a Mastersocket.
Master Socket 1:
Wires enter house. Sited 7 feet off the floor in the hallway. Only orange and white wires used, connected to the back (non-removable part) of the faceplate.
Domestic wires connected to removal plate:
Connector Wire
2   blue
3   orange
4   orange/white
5   blue/white
See photo "MS1_removable_plate"
When front plate removed all phones dead.
This was fitted by dodgy electrician when door frames removed old connection box went with frames!
It appears that this then leads to a filtered socket on the wall where this line and the one to what I thought was the master socket in the study meet. The blue and blue/white wires from mastersocket1 and to mastersocket2 are connected to the faceplate connectors, and the orange and orange/white wires are each twisted together respectively.(See photos "FS" and FS_wiring")
The wires then go to the second "mastersocket" via two connection boxes (see photo CB_wiring). These seem to be well connected with no loose of crossed wires.
Finally the router is connected to the mastersocket in the study (labelled here mastersocket 2). The wiring is shown in photos "MS2_removable_plate" and "MS2_backplate". The filter is still attached in these photos.