Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor plusnet performance

matthewk1971
Grafter

Poor plusnet performance

Plusnet don't get much right nowadays.
I am currently on restriced service for exeeding my limit.
I understand this and can accept the fact they should restrict my service at the times stated.
However, they cannot tell the time! Just as an example, yesterday, Friday, my service was restricted at 1.30pm and now, it is 1.20AM on Sunday morning and my account is still under restriction.
The times are 4pm - 12am, plusnet, ADJUST YOUR CLOCKS!
This sort of thing only leads to users ignoring the times and carrying on regardless, if the isp cannot stick to them why should we?
And while we are on it, does anyone else know of any company that tells you they will take your direct debit one day roughly next week sometime?
Why can't they set a date and stick to it???
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Poor plusnet performance

Hi Matthew,
Could do with a bit more info. What product are you on? What have you downloaded? What sort of traffic are you trying to download?
Let us know and we should be able to advise better.
We've no reason at the moment to believe that any of our usage clocks are out of sync Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

matthewk1971
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.
I am on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 and have hit 13.5gb this month.
I don't see how what I am downloading makes much of a difference, if my account is restricted then it is restriced, if it is open between 12am and 4pm then it should be unrestricted, but it was usenet.
It is now 2pm and my speed is only 28kbs, which is fast by recent standards.
This isn't broadband, it's rubbish!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Makes more sense now then.
What you're downloading does make a difference because different traffic is in different queues and handled differently by the Ellacoyas.
There's also differences if you have hit level one management which you appear to have.
Traffic-wise we're very busy at the moment, and additional management will be applied to things like Usenet and P2P on a weekend if the network is busy.
If Gold traffic is suffering and you've exceeded any of the usage quotas then this may well be applied outside of the 4pm-Midnight slot too.
Best thing of course is to avoid breaching the threshold.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Merlin
Grafter

If you think PN don't get much right you should try some of the competition, I know of no others who have forums like these or who have a ticketing system which enables you to see where a problem is up to.  I have had my share of issues with PN in the past so I know PN is not perfect but I have just spent a few days at my daughter's trying to sort out some issues with her BB from a certain ISP with an Italian connection.  The routine is ring one phone number only to be told they cannot help, ring another premium line, wait 30 minutes to speak to someone who is barely intelligible only to be told that I should ring the first number again.  Do that and guess what -- as Excel says 'cannot resolve cyclic arguments.  After a day trying to resolve the issue I realised the benefits of the PN sytem
atbs1
Grafter

"If Gold traffic is suffering and you've exceeded any of the usage quotas then this may well be applied outside of the 4pm-Midnight slot too."
Now I thought, apparantly misguidedly, that there was no traffic "shaping / management" during non-peak hours?  If the above is true then I have been consitantly misled...
astarsolutions
Grafter

Now I thought, apparantly misguidedly, that there was no traffic "shaping / management" during non-peak hours?

I would expect them to use traffic management during non-peak hours so things like VoIP and HTTP traffic are still usable and not swamped by Usenet and P2P, they just don't count your usage.
It would also make sense that they would drop traffic of the heavy users who had exceeded their allowances before the users who had kept within it.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: SGTE
Now I thought, apparantly misguidedly, that there was no traffic "shaping / management" during non-peak hours?  If the above is true then I have been consitantly misled...

Help article here.
This shows the different times in the busy day(s) that traffic is restricted, or is this not what you meant?