Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor line revisited

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Poor line revisited

I believe it's just an exchange visit, Chris would have been in touch to arrange access to your premises if it was needed Smiley
Mav
Fixes: 514

I received a call from the BT engineer this morning.
According to him there is no fault to be found at the exchange. He said he checked all cards, links, connections and everything else he could and nothing wrong.
When I explained the issues he said he will forward the issue to the Broadband faults section for further investigation and put his report in detailing this.
I did have two dropouts around the time the engineer was at the exchange and he confirmed that was due to his checking things out.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the update Mav.
The notes show us that they've identified a fault on the "D" side cabling (distribution point side, rather than exchange side) and that further work is needed so either myself or Chis will let you know if we hear any more from our side.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mav

I guess he must have done more checking? Or is this a report from the BB fault people?
Out of interest what is the "D" side cabling?
Thanks Adam

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

D side is the "distribution" side of the network, i.e cabling  between the exchange and the cabinets.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mav

Thanks for the quick response Adam. Much appreciated Smiley

Mav

Further update...
BT phone engineer arrived around 40 minutes ago. Rather surprised as was expecting a broadband engineer after the chat I had with yesterday's engineer. He ran the usual tests and couldn't find any faults.
So, back to square one Sad

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear that's still an issue Mav,
I've just passed the fault report back to BT for you advising that's still an issue.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mav

Thanks Adam.
It seems at the moment the dropouts aren't as frequent as they were for the last few weeks but they are still there.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Mav.
I've checked over your connection and things now seem a little better. I'd suggest monitoring your connection over the weekend and depending on how it is we'll go from there?
Chris
Mav

This is what seems to happen on a regular basis:
I get quite a few drop-outs but nothing too serious... but each time it connects randomly between ITU-T G.992.5 and ITU-T G.992.3 with the ATT changing from 48 to 43/44 respectively.
Then I get a short period of very frequent drop-outs where phone engineer investigations show nothing untowards.
Real-world experiences show that the line is flaky at the best of times with speeds up/down regularly and frequent occurrences of buffering even on very low streaming (480x360 probably 12 -15 fps).
Just wondering what happened about getting a BT BB engineer out as was suggested and promised by the BTO engineer that phoned me earlier this week (20th)?
Meanwhile I will continue to monitor the line as I have been doing over the last week or so.
Edit: Just to confirm that this has happened with three routers, BT Homehub 2, Technicolour 582n and Netgear DG834G

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mav,
I've pushed this fault back to our suppliers this morning and I'll have an update later this afternoon.
Mav

Thanks chris.
Just to let you know already had two disconnects this morning (10:16 and 10:23 appx).
Edit: Just noticed that the NM has shot up to 6.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mav,
It looks like the drop-outs were from testing, a few more changes have been made to your line. Can you let me know how it is over the next day or so and if there's no improvement It will be an engineer visit needed.
Mav

Thanks chris.
Been out all day but no dropouts as far as I can see.
Also, the NM is still at 6 (well, 5.9 as reported by RouterStats).
Will keep an eye on things.