jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Poor latency-help

Thanks Terry, I'll keep them crossed too Smiley
TerryCTR
Grafter

At long last I can say my connection is now back to what it was - thats done the trick - no more lag kills  Cool
Thanks for pushing it through Jojo, it makes me wonder what the other guys were doing to have it in limbo in the first place but anyway I am glad this has sorted it and finally I can whoop some a*s
Terry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Terry,
sorry it took so long to sort out. As much as I'll always admit to any staff failings I will say on this occasion that the systems were giving us false information, so it would have been very hsrd to spot the problem. Glad it's sorted for you though, even I was beginning to despair for you!
Jojo Smiley
TerryCTR
Grafter

Hi Jojo
I'm noticing at times im dropping connection but after say half an hour of game play it goes back up.
I read that disconnecting a router will make the bt equipment think something is wrong and therefore slow your line in effect to make it more stable. My router appears to go into sleep mode and also has a reboot facility should for cleaning errors. Would this be causing the initial drop?
Thank
Terry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Terry,
If your router has idle timeout make sure it's set to 0 or always on.
Jojo Smiley
TerryCTR
Grafter

Will do
Thanks
Terry
TerryCTR
Grafter

I have turned off the self healing and no boxes are ticked on ECO mode.
The login timeout is also set to 0 (it allows 1-99 minutes)
I dont see anything else to adjust but it still appears to go to sleep mode - any ideas?
Thanks
Terry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Terry,
What make and model is the router?
Jojo Smiley
TerryCTR
Grafter

HI Jojo,
Its a belkin router Belkin.7C7E, N300 (or surf as they now call it I think).  The model number is F7D2401 v1 (01)
I emailed the helpdesk for Belkin but to me the guy has not understood my issue this is what I wrote and my reply:

Dear Belkin User,
Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support.
I see that you are facing a frequent disconnection using the router.
I suggest you reset and re-configure the router once to check the issue.
Please follow the steps given below to reset the router:
1) Take a paper clip and press it into the reset button of the router with the power plugged in for 20 seconds
2) After 20 seconds with the paper clip pressed in, disconnect the power from the router. Wait for 20 seconds and connect the power back to the router after 20 seconds
3) After 20 seconds, release the paper clip from the router.
The router can be configured in two ways. We can either use the CD or configure the router manually.
ADSL connection:
1) Wall socket to filter
2) Filter would be split into two - one to the modem router and the other to the PSTN phone
If there is a static on the phone using the router, we need to isolate the problem:
It should not be a router problem as the phone is connected to the filter. To isoalte the problem, disconnect the router from the filter and check for static. If there is static, we request you to kindly contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP)
However, if the phone is connected to one of LAN ports of the router, please follow the steps given below on a wired computer to change MTU on the modem router:
1) Connect the router to either the telephone line or the filter.
2) Connect the computer to port number 1 of the router.
3) Make sure the corresponding lights are lit. The telephone light should be "On" and so Log 4) Log on to router setup page by typing “192.168.2.1” in the address bar of the browser. By default the password is blank.
5) On the left under “Internet WAN”, click on the option "Connection Type".
6) Select “PPPOA”, (If it is ADSL)/ PPPOE (If it is DSL) and click on “next”.
7)Type in the user-name and password and then re-type the password given to you by your ISP. Make sure you type in the full user-name.For Example, the format for the User-name should be "yourusername@yourISP.com or .net"
8)Also confirm the settings of “VPI/VCI”, “Encapsulation” values from your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and configure the same.
9)Change the “MTU” to “1400”.
10)Click on “Apply Changes” button at the bottom. Wait till it saves the data.
11)Click on Home on the right top corner and then click on the "Connect" button. You should be able to go online.
Note: You can also follow the link given below to configure an ADSL router:
http://en-uk-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1563/kw/Modem/p/312/r_id/166
If the problem persists, please get back to us with the following information:
1. Type of connection provided by your ISP (Is it PPPOE, Dynamic or static).
2. Name of the Internet service provider (ISP).
3. If the phone is connected to the filter or the LAN port of the router?
4. What is the firmware version under "Version Info" on the "Home" page of the router?
5. Version number of the router. You would find the version number on the bottom of the device. It would be a number in a series of thousands with a prefix “ver.”.
6. What is the MTU setting given by the ISP?
Thank you,
Should you have any further questions, please take a moment to review our Knowledge Base at http://belkin.com/uk/support or let us know.
Please ensure that in order to reply to this email, or access any attachments, you must follow the link shown above and click 'update' at the bottom of the email to be able to respond. Do not reply to noreply@belkin.com as we will not receive your email.
YESHWANTH VIMAL KUMAR M
Technical Support Agent
Belkin Technical Support
Customer By Web Form  01/03/2011 09.00 PM
Hi,
My router seems to go into a sleep mode, ie the LED light turns red if I leave it for a while. I have cleansing mode turned off and the idle timeout set to zero. Finally I have not ticked the boxes to run ECO mode but it still seems to go red. I think this is effecting my gaming as the line is restricting for an hour or so each time it does it until I have been playing a while.
Is there a hidden menu or something to stop this happening?
Thanks
Terry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Terry,
I've found the user manual for your router if you think that might help.
Jojo Smiley
TerryCTR
Grafter

I have sorted the router going to sleep and it sorted the connection until a couple of days ago.
It's been jumping about again and it's costing me online
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Terry,
I can't see any disconnections from the service on your connection logs, what error messages do you see (if any) and what is it that's happening?
TerryCTR
Grafter

Hi Matt,
I'm not seeing any error messages I haven't went back to testing the ping etc but whilst playing on xbox live, call of duty to be precise I'm constantly sitting at a 3 bar connection. Occasionally it jumps back to a 4 but it's not consistent and I'm suffering lag kills as a result.
When the interleaving was turned off it did fix the issue and my ping sat around 39-42 which was perfect but of late it's fell off a little again
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is that a wireless or wired connection between the xbox and the router? Might be worth trying wired, if it is wireless, or if that's not possible then try moving the wireless antennae on the router or xbox receiver?
TerryCTR
Grafter

It is wired. The antenna are in built and there are a few inside the box I think but ill try shifting it further away from the xbox etc incase of interference. I have now noticed it happens alot when playing against French guys so I'm beginning to think it's a server issue within the game now.  I will run some ping tests before I play again so I can be sure it's not my connection
Thanks
Terry