Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor latency-help

TerryCTR
Grafter

Poor latency-help

Hi,
I have been with plusnet for about a month now and after being told I could expect a ping of 40ms I infact only got 50ms.
This was fine for online gaming but after 5 days and a supposed Bt line crash my ping is now 57ms at best. I play call of duty online and now suffer alot of lag kills. I have did all the tests asked and still no solution. It's now supposedly been escalated to a faults team but once again I find myself waiting long periods of time for any response.
I then found this link and am beginning to think plusnet are not up to scratch at all
http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/news/plusnet-ceo-apologies-for-broadband-service-problems
Is anyone else suffering connection issues when gaming? I see they have no issue taking my payment for a pro max package which is anything but pro?
73 REPLIES 73
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Poor latency-help

Hi TerryCTR,
I'll see if I can get someone to look into this tomorrow for you.
Jojo Smiley
TerryCTR
Grafter

Thanks Jojo,
I would appreciate that as Im just about at the giving up stage and cancelling
Terry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi TerryCTR,
We're looking at what we can do to diagnose this. I have responded to your ticket with the details.
Jojo Smiley
TerryCTR
Grafter

Thanks,
I've had no notification that the ticket was updated but I will check it out now
I hope the issue can be resolved asap as my tv is ready for going a trip out the window!
Terry
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Terry,
To be honest 57ms really isn't a high ping, even for online gaming. I play a lot of FPS online and have played with pings over 100 without issues.
Out of interest what console are you playing this on or is it through PC? The reason I asked is that there are a lot of XBOX and PS3 gamers complaining about lag in the game that *aren't* Plusnet customers.

Also, the link you've provided in no way represents our network today, that post was made 14 months ago.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TerryCTR
Grafter

Chris yes I know it was but there seems to be alot of latency issue posts of late on here
My console is an xbox360 and yes I know the game itself can have issues- but I can assure you my ping is causing me to lose out all the time. Before I moved home I was in a better area and was able to get a really good connection and didn't suffer.
I play with friends In the same games and having better connections means they don't suffer lag kills. They have even played on mines and commented on the slower connection. Like I say when I first got connected with yourself I wasn't suffering any issues but it's went down hill since the BT Line crash.
I was also told I could expect a ping of 40ms so paying for a max package that's what I'd like to have-possibly I had this for the first week as it ran great online. I can tell the difference between problems on the game and my connection and it is for sure the connection at present. I never go above 3 bars online where as previously it was a 4 bar connection.
A ping of 100ms would be what you would expect when connected to an American server and ask anyone who plays cod and they know this leads to lag kills.
I wad previously with orange who capped me which they admitted and my ping ran at 76-93ms and the game was just unplayable
Anyway I will wait and see if what Jojo has done shows any improvement over the weekend
Thanks
Terry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi TerryCTR,
ping times are not specific to packages. The difference with pro is that the traffic management is full line speed for every protocol on Pro. Are you noticing any problems with other games? Are you having problems using the internet for any other things? Have you got UPnP enabled on your router?
Jojo Smiley
TerryCTR
Grafter

Hi Jojo
When I signed up I was told to take the max package for gaming as my ping would be lowest so I did as I don't really have a clue about all of this stuff.
All I can say is when interleaving has been turned off it seems to make things like you tube run poorly. I had asked for this to be put back to auto and I don't know if it has but that side of things has been running fine the last couple of days.
I only ever checked the ping before it went bad and it was 50ms. It's now always 57ms and the jitter went to 3ms dropping my connection from a grade A to B per pingtest net. It may only be 7ms but I have noticed the drop on xbox live.
I don't know what that is how do I go about enabling it and would this help me?
Thanks
Terry
TerryCTR
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Have you made the changes to my account?
I just ran another ping test and its up to 62ms with a jitter of 3ms. Again graded B and it says some online games may not perform optimally - which is deffinately the case on call of duty
EDIT: Its now at 79ms ping and 9ms jitter
Embarrassed
Terry
TerryCTR
Grafter

I take it that's a no as it's still running just the same.
It's now also a week since it was raised to fault level and not once have I heard from them?
Time to throw the towel in with plusnet I think
TerryCTR
Grafter

101ms ping now
TerryCTR
Grafter

I bought a brand new router supposedly better for gaming.
Im still suffering lag kills online and my connection is still at 3 bars, flicking to 4 every now and again.
Everything checked my end and checked again
Still no response from the fault team 1 week down the line
TerryCTR
Grafter

Still a 3 bar connection  Angry
TerryCTR
Grafter

I played for a good fee hours there.
It was occasionally running at a 4 bar connection during a game then it would drop back down, but mostly it was as before.