Did you mean: 

Poor latency at peak times

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Poor latency at peak times

Sorry to hear that.

It's normal for you to see higher latency when the connection is in use.

However if your speeds are poor too then maybe this is related. Do you experience the same issues across multiple devices?

If you can also provide us with a full traceroute (as opposed to certain hops), we can look into this further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
patrickf
Hooked

I don't believe the high latency is due solely to the internet usage on our line.  As mentioned, I will setup port mirroring and wireshark to measure our internet usage, to compare against latency.

BTW, I found this article interesting and presumably relevant:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/peak-time-congestion-hits-hardest-for-broadband-isp-pl...

Can you tell me what the contention ratio is for our line?

Yes, we see issues across multiple devices - PCs, xbox, TV.

As mentioned, the full traceroute output was attached to the post on Thursday.  Please shout if you're not able to access that attachment.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I only mentioned usage and the 2704n bufferbloat issue because I had assumed that you were on ADSL due to this thread being in Broadband rather than Fibre Broadband.

Unfortunately that ISPReview article is based on a fundamentally flawed analysis of the data. The data was originally from ThinkBroadband who measure congestion based on the difference between their single-threaded and multi-threaded speedtests. It makes little sense to compare the off-peak and peak average speeds the way ISPReview did, because the differences will be due to people with different line speeds testing at different times, nothing to do with congestion. If a higher proportion of people with faster lines did speedtests at peak times, then the peak average speed would be higher.

Broadband lines don't really have any notion of a contention ratio, in the sense that they aren't sold with a fixed specified contention ratio.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @patrickf,

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience that this issue is causing you.

I've tested your line and the test has now picked up an external line fault:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.5 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 434.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-11-20T09:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.4 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.8 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.2 Sec
Retrains 0.0 5.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-12-03T08:48:15Z 2018-12-03T09:03:15Z
Ingress Code Violation 3 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

I've raised this to our suppliers for further investigation and they have advised that their estimated response time is by midnight on the 5th of December. As it's an external fault, this is only an estimate and if they're able to investigate sooner than this they will. Our faults team will be in touch once we've received an update from our suppliers on this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team