cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor fibre speed..

emberto1946

Poor fibre speed..

Hi,
I'm new to the forum only having been connected this afternoon but immediately have issues with the broadband speed.
I was contracted to receive 80Mbps as the cabinet is only 50 metres from our house.  The engineer arrived on time, was very pleasant and after a short while announced that I was getting 80/20.  We changed the settings on my laptop to recognise the new router and checked BBC Iplayer and it was great.  The engineer went off to use the bathroom and I did a speed test using speedtest.net which gave me speeds of 36.59/16.67, wirelessly about 2 metres from the router.  I asked the engineer before he left and he said that he had done his test at the exchange and that my test wasn't accurate.
I decided to try a couple of other speed btesters including BT's and Plusnet's and all were even slower.  I then connected to the router using the ethernet cable and got 61.23/16.08.  Much better but still not 80.  The engineer had said that if I used an ethernet cable I would probably get 120 Mbps as I was so close to the cabinet.
The engineer check all my wiring which is brand new and said that it was fine.  He fitted the new faceplate so there isn't much, if anything, that I can do.
What do I do now?
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Poor fibre speed..

Topic split off to its own thread and title changed
Please run the BT speedtest - diagnostic and report the results http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html explains also what is the current line speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ssjinzo

Quote from: emberto1946
Hi,
I'm new to the forum only having been connected this afternoon but immediately have issues with the broadband speed.
I was contracted to receive 80Mbps as the cabinet is only 50 metres from our house.  The engineer arrived on time, was very pleasant and after a short while announced that I was getting 80/20.  We changed the settings on my laptop to recognise the new router and checked BBC Iplayer and it was great.  The engineer went off to use the bathroom and I did a speed test using speedtest.net which gave me speeds of 36.59/16.67, wirelessly about 2 metres from the router.  I asked the engineer before he left and he said that he had done his test at the exchange and that my test wasn't accurate.
I decided to try a couple of other speed btesters including BT's and Plusnet's and all were even slower.  I then connected to the router using the ethernet cable and got 61.23/16.08.  Much better but still not 80.  The engineer had said that if I used an ethernet cable I would probably get 120 Mbps as I was so close to the cabinet.
The engineer check all my wiring which is brand new and said that it was fine.  He fitted the new faceplate so there isn't much, if anything, that I can do.
What do I do now?

i have the same issue i got my fiber on Friday and the engineer tested  at the socket was 80 20 but iam getting half this download speed dont know what to do i think the speed might increase hopefully
edit i have added the required information i cannot see dsl connection on my modem
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please follow the instructions above - we need the diagnostic results
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi emberto1946,
Welcome to the community forums.
I've had a look over your connection and it's showing your syncing at over 70Mb/s. I'd suggest if possible to try a <a href="http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows-7/">PPPoE</a> connection and see if there's any difference.

@ssjinzo
Would it be possible if you could also try a <a href="http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows-7/">PPPoE</a> and let me know the results?