Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor and Reduced Fibre Speeds

SWebster
Grafter

Poor and Reduced Fibre Speeds

Hi All,
Well, I finally connected up my new fibre connection on Monday - am currently using the Openreach Modem and Plusnet Router to let things settle and then I might consider changing to one of the combined modem/routers - perhaps the Asus or the Draytek.
Anyway, when I first connected up I was getting really good speeds - download was 38mb and upload was about 18mb.  However, over the course of 2 days, my speed has dropped dramatically and I have used about 3 different speed testers and I am now only getting download speeds of 15 to 18mb and an upload speed of 2.5 to 3 mb.
Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I can do about it?
I am on the 40/20 broadband only package and I am quite disappointed that the speeds have dropped so dramatically and I am just wondering why?  I am near to my Green Cabinet, so the copper cable does not have far to go and the Openreach engineer who came to the house initially, tested the line and said that I was getting about 79mb down the line, so it is capable of those kind of speeds.  This is a shame, I was thinking about changing my phone from BT to Plusnet so that I can save on line rental as BT are increasing their.  I was also thinking about adding the phone and upgrading my package to the fastest fibre connection as my line can support it, but I don't want to shell out if my speeds are going to drop that significantly.
Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what I can do?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
ericwalker
Dabbler

Re: Poor and Reduced Fibre Speeds

Same experience here over the last 18 months, Ive just made a post funnily enough about the same thing...
SWebster
Grafter

Yes, have just seen your post.  I ran the BT wholesale test and this was better.
Have you found a resolution to this problem yet?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Eric,
I would suspect the reasons are quite different.

@SWebster,
Can you please post the results of the BT wholesale advanced diagnostic tests and the current speed reported on the PlusNET portal - see the speed issues thread for full details.
FTTC takes 2+ days to adjust speed.  Within this period, there is the risk of getting a late ADSL profile update sent by BT to PlusNET which can cripple the initial FTTC speed.  This is normally sorted within a couple of days without intervention.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi SWebster,
Sorry to hear you're seeing issues, I've just checked across both BT and our information on your connection and everything seems to be perfectly fine where sync speeds and profiles are concerned. Can I just check if your speed tests have been run via a wireless or a wired connection?
If this is via wireless, there could well have been external factors within the local environment causing interference that could be seeing the speeds throttled back. The true speed you should see would be from a direct wired connection to the Plusnet Router, so could you maybe run a BT speed test while wired directly into the router and post the results here please?
SWebster
Grafter

Hi,
Yes, the BT test that I ran was a wireless test, so I ran the next test via the Ethernet port and it came back as 38.51mb download and 16.26mb upload, which is okay, so it maybe the wireless connection.
I have ordered a new combined vdxl modem and router - the DrayTek Vigor 2760n, as I had read quite good reviews about this and I am wondering if this might help?
Thanks again. 
Is there anything else that I can do to improve the wireless speed on the Technicolor router in the meantime?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi SWebster,
I had a sneaking suspicion it was the wireless that was the bottleneck. You could try changing the wireless channel to a less congested channel as outlined here but in the long run, I would suggest looking at Home Plugs where possible for anything that can be wired.
SWebster
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Thanks for this.  I tried the BT speed test again on wireless and the download speed had risen to 31mb, however, it seemed to be the upload speed that was the problem - it was registering as 2.5mb on wireless and 15 to 16 when connecting using an ethernet port.
I have just been into the router and changed the wireless channel - I was on channel 6 automatically and I suspect that if everyones router connects to this channel automatically, then it must be quite congested, so I changed it to manual and selected channel 12.
Just done another test and it came back as download 38mb and upload 15mb, which is quite an improvement, so perhaps this has solved the problem.  Finger crossed.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Excellent news SWebster,
Sounds like you've managed to sort the problem!  Cool