Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wireless Range, New router?

thebig1
Hooked

Poor Wireless Range, New router?

Hi Guys,
Been with Plusnet about 2 months and the wireless range from the supplied router is rubbish!!!
It wont reach from downstairs to the room above where my old sky router did it fine.
Is there a better router I can use???
12 REPLIES 12
JamesM
Grafter

Re: Poor Wireless Range, New router?

My mum is in the same boat, computer and PN supplied router upstairs, smart TV downstairs and the smart TV wont pick up the wireless signal unless I bring the router halfway down the stairs. The only way to fix this is to buy another router, allthough I have seen a thread about someone trialing a new PN router, but that could be months though before it becomes standard issue. I am hoping to get fibre soon in my area, so I will give my Mum my Belkin which has a great wireless range.
thebig1
Hooked

Do you know if anyone has tried another type of router and improved the reception?
JamesM
Grafter

TBH mate, I would say any other router would be better then the PN supplied one.
thebig1
Hooked

there are alot on ebay for around £30, I guess they should be better???
JamesM
Grafter

I have only used a Belkin for my ADSL 2 connection so I can't comment on other brands, but if you list a few that you are looking at, I am sure someone on these forums might have used one at some time, and could let you know how good the range is. Also if you could say what you are on, Fibre or ADSL.
thebig1
Hooked

I am on normal broadband, not fibre
Looking at any of the following
NETGEAR WNR2000
Netgear WNDR3400
Netgear WNR3500
NETGEAR WIRELESS WNR1000
JamesM
Grafter

I would say you can't go wrong with any of those choices, but I am sure someone will come along and say which is the best one out of the four not only for wireless range but also for the best connectivity and performance.
thebig1
Hooked

If they would, that would ace!!!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

None of the Netgear WNR1000, WNR2000, WNDR3400, WNR3500 routers contain an ADSL modem, they are for fibre / cable, although they could be used together with the plusnet 582n acting as the ADSL modem.
The Netgear ADSL modem/routers have model numbers starting with D, e.g. DGN1000 or DGN2200.
JamesM
Grafter

Just for reference mate, this is the one I have. It gives me 4 out of 4 bars all over my house on my mobile phone and drops to 3 bars about 20 meters up my garden.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-Surf-Wireless-N-Modem-Router-N300-Series-300Mbps-F7D2401uk/12108699...
thebig1
Hooked

Wow that one looks good
JamesM
Grafter

I have had it for a few years now, I have tried three PN supplied Thompson routers, a Technicolor one which I ended up giving to my Mum, and a BT home hub 2, and the Belkin gave me the fastest speeds and the best wireless. I don't think you would be able to buy a new one as it is a few years old, and I don't know what the refurbished ones would be like.
Thanks for jumping in ejs with the info about the WNR being fibre only.  Cool