cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Skype & Download

dougjbarnes
Dabbler

Poor Skype & Download

Plusnet have improved my Download/Upload speeds but I'm still finding Skype is Awful when using video, and accessing any site HTTPS or HTTP is very slow.
BTW (and Broadband speed checker) show download is ~ 7M & upload is ~ 750k, which is about 50% better than my old Sky/O2 service, however when I Skype the person I' speak to has to ask me to turn off video otherwise the speech is so distorted, and when I connect to my bank/amazon/web email the time to access pages is far slower than when I was on my old 5M service via O2. In fact any downloaded pages seem to take forever (obviously not true) but much slower than I used to get.
Anyone got any ideas, am I really getting 7M down or is it a bit of wishful thinking by the provider
Sad :-
Stats are
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 13 days, 23:26:39
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 944 / 8,486
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 357.84 / 3.76
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.9 / 20.6
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.5
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 5 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 34,039 / 6
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 16,142 / 90,169
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 10,840 / 331,573
1 REPLY 1
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Poor Skype & Download

Hi @dougjbarnes,
Whilst your connection has been stable of late (14 days up time from what I can see) the speeds have fluctuated along with SNR (signal to noise ratio, one of the determining factors in connection speeds).
That's fairly high at the moment which has pushed speeds down a little, I've submitted an SNR reset which should complete within the next few hours.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team