cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor P2P Speeds

tywyn
Grafter

Poor P2P Speeds

I was under the impression that the speeds for Plusnet Unlimited would be prioritied as Gold traffic yet I'm getting under 20 kb/s. I've tried different pipes, but the result is the same.
Look at the speed of my peers in the attachment.

7 REPLIES 7
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Poor P2P Speeds

P2P speeds on Unlimited are hammered right down in peak times, and I usually see around the same sorts of speeds between midday and midnight.
However, between midnight and midday I get much faster speeds (line speed overnight, certainly)
B.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
The speed you're downloading at on your screenshot is showing as 25.1kB (note the capital B), this equates to just over 200kbps (approx). That's not too far off the limit for P2P at that time of day on Unlimited. Take a look at the expected speeds here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/unlimited-experience.shtml
The same page also confirms that P2P is not Gold on Unlimited, but is in the Bronze traffic queue.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tywyn
Grafter

You need to take a look at that screenshot again as it clearly shows 16.7 kB/s which is well below even the expected poor speeds on unlimited. It was only reaching about 156 kB/s at 10:20 am this morning.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tywyn,
The 16.7kB/s is the speed of the torrent that's running, if you look at the bottom of the window the total download speed is displayed there (as Chris says this is 25.1kB/s).
Due to the low priority of p2p traffic other things will take precedence across the network (which will increase as the morning goes on) which would explain the 156kB/s (approximately 1.2Mb/s).
Moominfish
Grafter

tywyn,
Judging by your screenshot it's obvious your downloading things you shouldn't be anyway so why should your p2p be prioritised at any time at all? I mean I don't know any software/OS that's 14.6 GB in size but funnily enough that's almost the size of that new Grand Theft Auto Episodes From Liberty City game! Because to my knowledge it comes on 2 Dual layer DVD's!! Come on man it's only £17.99 to buy!! Easily worth the money, I just bought Just Cause 2 for £34.99 for the Limited Edition version (well my other half bought it for me) and if you really want something that badly then buy it.
Funny as well isn't it how you came here to moan about the download speed yet you've hidden exactly what it is your downloading and uploading.
scootie
Grafter

i would rather not see people accuse people of ilegal accatives without concrete evidence.
i use to post alot of utorrent screen grabs from my past days on bbyw3 product as a couple of odditys happend with rate limits not being lifted at midnight and i to grab screen shots in the manor twywn has even thoe i dont p2p any copyrighted stuff
thiis how i screen shot utorrent are you going to accuse me of ilegal stuff to just because i only feel the need to show the speed of p2p and not what file is downloading http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80661.msg657633.html#msg657633
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.
As the OP's question has been answered and before this descends into unpleasantness I'm locking this thread.
Also I'd like to remind you all that P2P discussion itself is not illegal as per the rules:
Illegal file sharing
P2P (or peer-to-peer) software is not illegal in itself, nor is sharing files over it. What is illegal is the sharing of copyrighted files - over P2P or not. Therefore, discussions about P2P software in general are allowed on these forums... However, discussions about or links to sites distributing copyright material are not allowed.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'