Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Fibre speed

mkdavy
Hooked

Poor Fibre speed

Hi,

We are having difficulty with our fibre speeds, especially over WiFi. The connection will drop if more than one device is trying to stream video content. I did a speed test overnight (over WiFi as I did not have a device to connect to the ethernet port). The minimum speed (when it didn't drop out) was 1.37Mbps, the maximum was 25.85Mbps. this is far below my guaranteed minimum speed of 58.3Mbps.

The house is a 1980's house with thin plasterboard and cardboard internal walls. I was some distance away from the Router but not at the supposed edge of the range as the house is not overly large.

Could someone please investigate to see if there is a problem on the line? We have had openreach and virgin working nearby recently due to a new housing estate being built.     

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Re: Poor Fibre speed

@mkdavy 

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

John
mkdavy
Hooked

Hi John,

I did the quiet line test which was fine. I managed to do a sped test closer to the router and the speeds were much better at around 72Mbps.

The speed in the original location is still really poor. It’s probably between 5m and 6m away from the router on the floor above. The equivalent position in the same floor gets around 34Mbps, so now I am assuming there must be some interference/range issues. We we probably have to look at getting a mesh system 

jab1
Legend

What hardware do you have (computers/phones/tablets)? That second set of speed tests looks better. Just as a thought, are you aware of what is between the walls - I'm beginning to suspect foil insulation?

John
mkdavy
Hooked

Between the router and the room in question. There will be one solid block wall that is a small portion. The rest of the internal walls are plasterboard with a honeycomb cardboard centre. There is no foil insulation or any insulation in between the joists in the floor/ceiling. The the room is one floor up. We mainly use two 5th generation iPads, an iPhone 11, an iPhone 13 Pro and a Samsung smart tv in this room though not usually all at the same time. The speed test was done on the iPhone 11 when nothing else was on.
jab1
Legend

Thanks for the good explanation re the construction. If all the hardware is dual-band (the Apple kit is), my next thought is, is it trying to hold on to the 5Ghz when it should ideally be using the 2.4?

John