Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Broadband Performance

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Poor Broadband Performance

I raised a fault back in Sept 2011 about my poor broadband,The help staff have been quite good about this but it seems they are often different people and not always in touch with my problem which is still ongoing. I have had three B.T visits and there has been no fault here.The problem is that In the evening my line drops and  joins up again at a higher Noise. I am usually able to Reboot at the higher rate within the hour, but of course lose my speed Sometimes at week-ends this does not happen. To me the problem is somwhere on my line . It is a long one but when the b.t man comes all is well. Obviously I cant expect them  to sit at my desk waiting for an evening failure ,do they not have a monitor to stick on my line to understand what is going on. I do wonder if I would get on better dealing directly with b.t ? This is this morning

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.4 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.5 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.4 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.79 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

FAQ

YESTERDAY

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1.23 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.23 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.86 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1.5 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

11 REPLIES 11
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Poor Broadband Performance

HI stathe,
I've just been looking into this and from what I can see we're waiting to get another engineer out as the last one didn't carry out all the work we requested. I'll see if I can get someone to pick this up, but to be honest I doubt there's anything I could add at this moment in time.
Jojo Smiley
stathe
Rising Star

Thank you it is still in hand and at this moment is as good as it gets despite it failing last night, if a bt man came now he would say all is well,and it is ,but I bet itwill go down this evening

Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 07:36 499 kbps (62.4kB/s) 230 kbps (28.8kB/s) Share
Yesterday 13:52 1497 kbps (187kB/s) 352 kbps (44kB/s) Share
Yesterday 13:51 1482 kbps (185kB/s) 353 kbps (44.1kB/s) Share
Sunday 08:40 553 kbps (69.1kB/s) 334 kbps (41.8kB/s) Share
Thursday 22:51 1246 kbps (156kB/s) 373 kbps (46.6kB/s) Share
Thursday 07:11 1421 kbps (178kB/s) 369 kbps (46.1kB/s) Share
Apr 11, 16:20 732 kbps (91.5kB/s) 163 kbps (20.4kB/s) Share
Apr 11, 13:19 515 kbps (64.4kB/s) 368 kbps (46kB/s) Share
Apr 10, 16:50 1437 kbps (180kB/s) 324 kbps (40.5kB/s) Share
Apr 10, 08:37 272 kbps (34kB/s) 367 kbps (45.9kB/s) Share
Apr 9, 17:38 281 kbps (35.1kB/s)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My colleague has left specific instructions for the engineer this time so I'd hope to see a better outcome this time Smiley
stathe
Rising Star

Thank you,I think I tried to make the engineers aware, but it went at about 18-20 this evening and resumed in a few minutes at almost half the speed
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stathe,
Hope the appointment goes (went?) well this morning and sorts things out for you, please let us know.
stathe
Rising Star

Tests done and no faults found, last night as usual it failed as I have already told you, The engineer has arranged to come with someone who has equipment totry and detect the interference.I am not optimistic as I dont think it is here The drops on the graph to-day are when he was here
stathe
Rising Star

Last night I reconnected within an hour of the failure but speed gone
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry to hear it's ongoing, I can see another engineer visit has been booked though - hope that gets things sorted for you, and sorry it's been going on so long.
stathe
Rising Star

Last Tuesday evening I had two BT Engineers visit me with a REIN detector, They checked my equipment and went down the road 200yards to my neighbour and discovered he had equipment that was causing my evening drops, it has been O.K since save for one evening
As there are no lights in his house I presume he has gone away. I was told he had a faulty freeview recorder, so hope that when he returns he will remedy this.Can I take steps to make him do so ?Huh
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Try having a friendly chat with him, the recorder may be under warranty, and in any case if it's generating that much interference it won't be in compliance with the statutory regulations, and so not fit for purpose, so the retailer will be obliged to replace it or make a refund.
Ask trading standards what rights he may have, get some advice from OFCOM about equipment that gives out interference..
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
You might be lucky - it could be interfering with his broadband as well, in which case he'll probably be more than happy to get it sorted. Certainly hope that's the case. To be honest most people are happy to in my experience, not seen many complaints of people not wanting to.