cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor ADSL2 speed

street7cat
Dabbler

Poor ADSL2 speed

(Anotherone and PN: this is Mardler on behalf of my neighbour. See my "dropouts" topic.)
The member has had an email conversation with PN that was unhelpful hence this post.
This connection has long been running at c.7mbps (I have here a speed test print showing 7.51 on 30.7.15).
It was not upgraded to ADSL2 in October 2015.
On the same day that several neighbouring properties suffered a total loss of BB or a major speed reduction (early December) this connection dropped to 1mbps and slowly crept back to the current 2.4.
A BT phone line fault test shows no faults.
PN speed says 16.3.
The master socket is an old plain face box with line socket and an extension connected inside the box to another box about 10ft away. The phone is plugged into the master socket and two different microfilters have been tried.
No changes have been made to the router, PC, phone line or anything else since the July 15 speed test.
I can see no bad connections.
Router stats:-
Uptime: 0 days, 2:01:39

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.255 / 18.391

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 280,74 / 1,22

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,9 / 19,0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10,3 / 18,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,4 / 6,1

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 25.422 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 26 / 205

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 27 / 2.388

(Note the higher bandwidth from mine - this property is further from the exchange than me.)
Edit1: BTW test is c.2.5 with AVG stopped and 1.5 with it running.
Edit2: the incoming phone line goes to a box on the wall then to a hole at first floor level - this length of cable is flapping in the breeze and looks as though it has become unclipped (a BT job?).
Edit3: the master socket would appear to be on the inside wall at entry per Edit2 so the downstairs socket is an extension and the router feed is from a third socket c.10ft away. (I've tried bypassing this cable to no effect.) All three boxes seem to be identical.

I'm drawing a blank so can anyone suggest a solution?
15 REPLIES 15
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Poor ADSL2 speed

Can your neighbour run a BTW speed test ( ignore the red writing, just tick the yes box)  then do the additional test that follows on.
Cut and paste the result of speed test at PN as per link in my signature.
"A BT phone line fault test shows no faults."
exactly which test is that?  is the phone provider  BT.
"It was not upgraded to ADSL2 in October 2015."
Stats say ITU G.992.5  which can also be referred to as ADSL2+, ?Huh

street7cat
Dabbler

Cedlor:-
I'll do that but previously my neighbour has and it shows an IP profile of 16.3.
Phone line test is BT (provider) - my (Mardler) connection still shows a fault.
ADSL2+ is correct.
street7cat
Dabbler

BTW diagnostics attached.
Note that the IP profile has dropped to 9.19 since last checked ( a couple of days ago).
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Something is badly adrift
Sync speed at 15.53 18.391
IP profile at 16.50 9.19 which is equivalent to a sync speed of 10.5
Can you recheck the sync speed
street7cat
Dabbler

Router stats now (two line disconnections by me, one reboot):-
Uptime: 0 days, 0:29:55

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.255 / 10.415

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 10,14 / 18,84

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,0 / 19,8

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10,3 / 15,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7,2 / 5,9

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 18 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 9 / 18

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 90
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In which case your neighbour needs to raise a fault at https://faults.plus.net
Is there any noise on the line dial 17070 option 2 because, if there is, the fault should be reported  using https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22945&wizard_id=38
street7cat
Dabbler

Current line speed:16.3 Mb
cedlor
Grafter

Ok - the speed at PN will likely fall to match the IP speed at BTW
Is there some reason you rebooted since your last stats? did you do the disconnect first by logging on to the router as advised by AO
A number of disconnects in a short time can be interpreted by the system as a fault and it may raise the SNRM to try and correct it.
I notice that it has reverted back to    G 992-3  (ADSL2).
Which router is in use and what firmware does it have?. Which exchange is this on?

As Oldjim says report broadband as a fault to PN  ( I think he missed that the phone is with BT and line tests good)
They will then test from their end.
Is anything connected to the extension socket?  is phone on same  filter as the router.
Check the main cable to the house - is it from a pole and when it reaches the house are there any connectors , outside or inside.
Can you get inside to look for corrosion/ loose contacts.
As with "Mardler" you need to check the wiring.

Mardler
Rising Star

Mardler here.
I rebooted because the router had disconnected itself.
Standard PN Technicolour 582 router (same as mine).
I'm not prepared to divulge exchange details.
PN say, in emails, that they see no fault from their end (they do on my line) but yes we may raise a ticket.
The second socket (there's one on the first floor where the line enters the premises) has a phone connected via & a filter, the phone line is taken from behind this socket over a doorway to another socket at the PC which is connected via another filter.
As stated above, the line is from a pole that arrives at the premises goes into a junction box and drops to a first floor level entry (the drop is where the cable is loose).
I (Mardler) was inside but looking for corrosion/loose contacts isn't easy as the cable from the box at the entry point is hidden, besides the drop in speed happened on the same day as several other properties lost BB altogether or lost speed.
Thanks for your interest!
cedlor
Grafter

I am really struggling to visualise the set up here.?
I  tried to do a suggested layout based on your last post (attached)  but have just read the thread from the beginning
and I had not seen the edits you did to your first post, which were after I had read it initially.
Reading those perhaps socket1 is Upstairs and there is an internal wire down to the "second socket"
If that is the case the Master socket  is upstairs and ideally for testing, the router should be plugged into
that via a filter.  Is that something that could be tried? connecting a PC  or other device wirelessly .
Depending on the wiring (twisted pair?)( orange bell wire?) to the other sockets that may not make any improvement.
Are any other neighbours having problems?
You have indicated this is a different pole to yours but are the poles connected? overhead/underground? and do you know
if both poles are cabled to the same cabinet ( Green box in the street somewhere)
Mardler
Rising Star

Cedlor (et al):-
You have the topology right.
I agree re the testing and thought of that last night: may need a long cable to the downstairs PC but we can use a laptop wirelessly upstairs.
I haven't examined the wiring closely but it looks like standard BT telephone cable run in from outside (black sheathing) and then disappearing under carpet. Somewhere this changes because IIRC the cable entering box 2 is white - I'll check.
Re your questions:-
1. As I said above and in my own (Mardler) topic, several of us had BB problems on the same day in December:-
    * our (Mardler) connection kept dropping - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,145748.0.html
    * another lost BB but it came back at similar speed to before at c.7mbps
    * one had speed drop from 5 or 6mbps to <1 and he remains at c.1.5
    * another lost BB for two days before BT (his ISP and line provider) contacted him to tell him about the fault; it then    came back (day 3) at c.2 but crept back over another two days to pre fault level of 18+ where it remains.
    Only the first & last of these had their ISPs uncap the lines in October to take advantage of ADSL2+.
2. This member and myself (Mardler) are on different poles in the same road (street7cat is one pole, <100m, further from the exchange) and both are exchange lines i.e. no cabinet (big point of contention as we were expecting FTTC last year!). All lines are overhead.
HTH - and thanks, again.

Mardler
Rising Star

Mardler here, again.
Btw, at what point does checking a phone line become the user's responsibility therefore incurring costs? The line in street7cat's case is flapping in the breeze above the entry to the premises and may be (part of) the problem.
cedlor
Grafter

My thought is  BT/OR/PN will take responsibilty for wiring up to and including the Master/ First socket.  If the engineer finds anything wrong with ANYTHING -filters
adapters ,phones,extentions router then it is usually chargeable.- For that reason its best to illiminate any possible internal problems first.
See here:
"However, its own rules say you’ll be charged if the fault is within wiring at your property or your phone equipment,
you’ve damaged part of the BT network (say the master socket where the phone line enters the property),
or no fault is found during the engineer’s visit."    quote from:
Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2723459/The-130-call-fee-BT-shouldnt-charge-you.htm...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

"Standard BT wires"
The problem is that there are several BT standards for wires and the older ones are not ideal for proficient broadband.  You really do need to look at the wires (colours and construction - solid core or multi strand) to know if they are the right standard.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.