cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plustnet Router & iPhone 5 Wifi

beachedwhale

Plustnet Router & iPhone 5 Wifi

Hi All,
Hopefully this is the right place...otherwise some kind admin please move me to the correct section.
I have had a problem coming up about a month where my Wifi on the iPhone 5 trying to connect to plus net..
The router is out on the landing and in the Living room I get around 2 bars connection, but an unable to do fundamental internet tasks. (Facebook feed refresh, download / upload images on Whatsapp, refresh daily mail). I can receive whatsapp messages, but even that is temperamental. I have ran all of the iPhone tests and recommendations online and reset the internet multiple times. l have toyed with changing the channels, but no noticable difference. Also used inSSIDer to pick an uncommon channel. 
I have several other devices connected Nexus, Xbox, laptop which are all fine, also when people are round they can connect and able to download data fine.
I have tested my iPhone internet on other networks, at work and all seem to work normally. Is there any 'known' issue with the channel I should be using, or any other advice?
Another note to point out is that the plusnet broadband range is pretty poor. (2 bed flat, cannot get signal in bedroom which is floor above the router)
Cheers,
Dom
10 REPLIES 10
darklight
Grafter

Re: Plustnet Router & iPhone 5 Wifi

Go get a Asus RT-N66U router to replace the plusnet one, the Asus router as way better wifi.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Have you tried "Renew Lease" when the problem appears? I'm thinking it might possibly be a DHCP lease expiration error. One way to avoid that problem (if this is the problem you're experiencing) is to tick the "Always use the same IP address" in the device section of the TG582n GUI.
That's RPM to you!!
beachedwhale

Do you know I was actually eyeing up the router as it is for use with my Chromecast. The plusnet router is pretty crap - so unable to cast my webpage for streaming sports etc. (Works fine with Netflix from Nexus mind you).
Will try the lease option...have tried it a few times.
Think the router is the first point of call - as it has the separate channels I can put the iPhone onto.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: beachedwhale
Also used inSSIDer to pick an uncommon channel. 
Another note to point out is that the plusnet broadband range is pretty poor. (2 bed flat, cannot get signal in bedroom which is floor above the router)

Dom,
This could be down to using channel 13 - though valid in Europe some kit has problems with channels 12 & 13.  Can you be a bit more detailed in describing your problem please?  This will require logging into the router and looking at the connected devices.
I've seen two problem in this arena (1) iDevices can get their WiFi configurations screwed up (2) I have seen the TG582n routers recognise a WiFi connection, allocate an IP address, but that IP address be not picked up by the client.  Try the following...
0. EXACTLY what do you see  / experience on the iPhone - does it successfully connect / tick the WiFi network entry?  What does the more information on the connection show?  Is it configured for DHCP?
1. Tell the iPhone to forget the network and then try a reconnection, re-entering the WiFi code - remember that this is case sensitive.
2. Check the router network interface and see if it reports the iPhone as connected - you might need to find the iPhone's MAC address from the relevant settings page (screen).
3. If the router shows the iPhone as connected, but it still does not work, try renewing the lease on the configuration detail page
4. If all of the above fails, try putting a manual address entry in to the phone - try 192.168.1.32 / subnet mask 255.255.255.0 / DNS & Gateway 192.168.1.254
HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

beachedwhale

0. EXACTLY what do you see  / experience on the iPhone - does it successfully connect / tick the WiFi network entry?  What does the more information on the connection show?  Is it configured for DHCP?
Phone is connected to Wifi - showing between 2/3 bars. DHCP is showing IP Address, Subnet, Router, DNS, Search Domains
1. Tell the iPhone to forget the network and then try a reconnection, re-entering the WiFi code - remember that this is case sensitive.
Done this many times - doesnt make a difference.
2. Check the router network interface and see if it reports the iPhone as connected - you might need to find the iPhone's MAC address from the relevant settings page (screen).
Said connected device, removed the device and added it again with a new IP address.
3. If the router shows the iPhone as connected, but it still does not work, try renewing the lease on the configuration detail page
No renew lease - renewed on Phone and set the DHCP to always use IP address and infinite Lease Times
4. If all of the above fails, try putting a manual address entry in to the phone - try 192.168.1.32 / subnet mask 255.255.255.0 / DNS & Gateway 192.168.1.254
Not sure how to do this step...
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

You select what's already there and just overwrite with the values you want to use.
That's RPM to you!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

On the iPhone / WiFi network details page, select the STATIC tab and entre the desired details.
I assume you've done a router reboot?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

beachedwhale

ASUS N66U router purchased and installed.
All good so far!
I saw there are several posts about the N66U. Are there any optimum setting I should do or tips and tricks?
Cheers,
Dom
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Are there any optimum setting I should do or tips and tricks?

There is an N66U  users thread running on this forum, you'll maybe have to search through a few pages.  Smiley
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6