Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet won't lower downstream SNR!!

diggler
Grafter

Plusnet won't lower downstream SNR!!

Hi,
About a month ago, my broadband connection started dropping when receiving or making phone calls on my land line, tried three different micro filters- same problem. Bt Openreach came out and told me that my profile was incorrect, changed by downstream noise margin from 6db to 9 db, and capped my upstream speed to 440k. I told Plusnet support I was unhappy with this resulting loss of speed, so another engineer was sent out who changed the connections at the telephone pole and cabinet, because he saw slight noise spikes with his equipment. He said that the only way to find out if this work had sorted my problem would be to do a 21CN reset, which would return me to 6db downstream SNR. Plusnet support have finally uncapped my upstream speed, but are refusing to lower my downstream SNR because they say it will result in an unstable line and that my line has been 'over performing' for the past three years!! I previously had an IP Profile of 11meg, which is now 9meg. Any ideas what I could do now? Thanks in advance.
89 REPLIES 89
SuperZoom
Grafter

Re: Plusnet won't lower downstream SNR!!

Quote from: diggler
my broadband connection started dropping when receiving or making phone calls

Quote from: diggler
Openreach came out and told me that my profile was incorrect, changed by downstream noise margin from 6db to 9 db

Two very, very different things being conflated there (by them, I mean, not by you).
diggler
Grafter

Both Openreach engineers expected to be asking for a lift and shift, but both requests were turned down. The second engineer thought the SNR raise by BT wholesale was to counteract the noise margin drop when the phone was being used. I'm still confused as to why my line has suddenly become less stable at 6db downstream noise margin, when it was perfectly happy for the last 3 years! I don't buy into the over performing excuse.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi diggler,
I'm sorry if you feel that we've refused that to you, whilst I'm unsure what's caused the degradation that led to a 6db being unsustainable but we did see that it resolved the issue and we simply don't want to see you having issues with your service.
If you wish we can try resetting it back to 6db as long as you are aware that risk is involved because it's likely to cause disconnection issues again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
diggler
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Adam,
Yes, I would like to try the connection at 6db to see if the disconnects still occur. Can the SNR be raised to 9db again if they do? Thanks again.
SuperZoom
Grafter

If they do (EDIT: when using the phone), it means the actual problem hasn't been solved.
diggler
Grafter

That's my worry, but I use my landline such a small amount I'm willing to put up with the dropouts to get a higher sync speed! I've read many a forum post on my particular type of fault, and its a nightmare to rectify or even identify!
diggler
Grafter

Could I get this SNR reset actioned please? Thanks in advance.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Personally I'd say the cons may outweigh the pros for you on this one but happy to give it a go.
I've just submitted the reset to 6db
Leave it there for a few days and see how things go, if it needs to be reverted we can change it back to 9db for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
diggler
Grafter

Thanks Adam, it's worth a try. If not, it may be a switch to Plusnet fibre for me.......
SuperZoom
Grafter

Oooh, now there's a way to be even less happy by the time DLM's done with you, depending on whether you're bothered about latency or not.
You won't be able to find out what's gone on and PlusNet won't be able to do anything about it for you...
But the sync speed would be higher.
diggler
Grafter

How long to these things take to implement? Reset to 6db still hasn't occurred.
diggler
Grafter

So it takes a few minutes to raise my SNR, but several days to lower it again? I give up.......
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No it should happen almost immediately if it is going to
It looks like they will need to try again as the system hasn't done it
diggler
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Oldjim, hopefully some kind member of the Plusnet staff will see this post and action it. Replies to my ticket are taking at least 72 hours at the moment!!