cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet very slow broadband - won't / can't fix

mikejd

Plusnet very slow broadband - won't / can't fix

Just about the worst customer service experience today with Plusnet.

Horribly slow connection. Confirmed this on call with plusnet (who tested connection) Had gone through the basics with guy on phone to fix unsuccessfully.
In the following call guy refused to speak to me about it as he was convinced I was not a named contact (even though I'd been added before).
So I suggested to the guy, fine, I'll leave the call, can you pass on to tech support to fix. He said the comments would be there and tech support might see them but not guaranteed (I did emphasise this was a service we were paying for).
The guy would not stop telling me I was not a named contact. even though I explained the account owner had added me some months ago so I could deal with such issues myself.
So I asked if he could escalate call so I could confirm why I was now not a named contact and to make a complaint about the slowness. He would not escalate the call.

So not only will I be telling everyone how bad and slow Plusnet service is, I'll be contacting trading standards to put a complaint about refusal to escalate the call.
Why do Plusnet want to be this useless? It surely makes not sense to treat customers like this.
So, I recommend Plusnet wholeheartedly if you like waiting 5 seconds for an avergae webpage to load
20 REPLIES 20
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plusnet very slow broadband - won't / can't fix

See Complaints Code of Practice
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Sorry that you're unhappy with the experience on the phone earlier. I have to agree with the advisor you spoke to however as I've checked back over the account notes and there is no request nor record of an authorised user being added until earlier on today.
Getting on to the speed issues, I can see you've started to report a fault. If you can complete the checker at https://faults.plus.net this will pass the information on to our faults team for further investigation.
I've taken a look over your line and it's disconnecting frequently:

These disconnections have caused your line to become banded, this is a change made by the exchange DLM to try and stablise the connection. However as it's still not particularly stable, it needs further investigation.
I've just tried to run a full line test, but it's reporting that the line may be in use (ie you're on the phone) so it's not allowing me to test that part.
Is there any noise on the phoneline at all?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mikejd

Hello Chris
Thank you for the reply. I must say, it is a mystery to me why the previous time I was added as a contact is not seen. Still that is now resolved.
However, about escalation, the advisors must do this because taking complaints futher (with ofcom, trading standards, etc)  requires that customer has attempted call escalation. I had already passed the DPA checks on that same call. The consumer credit act does not govern whether a fault can be logged, taken forwards, or whether the call can be escalated or not based on the DPA. I specified to the advisor I was happpy to just report the issue and go (but he could not confirm it would be dealt with).
Anyway, thank you for the details for the line fault.
With fault process I got to the stage where I'm told to try a different router. I don't have spare routers hanging around. The fault process then tells me that if I continue I may be charged. So I cannot continue. It's clearly leading me (as BT do) into having an engineer call who willl probably look for any reason to make it chargeable.
The phone line is usable, generally ok. Occasional static (or crackle) can be heard, but this does not happen on all calls.
(If you think that is a cynical view, the Omsbudsman deem 8 of 10 customer complaints on this charge (from BT) as being unreasonable and are refunded. As Plusnet are part of BT, then I presume it's the same Openreach engineers that call)
You are welcome to try a fulll line test again. I was on the phone (to BT) this morning for a while. They have a fault logged also, but seem not to want to do anything unless I agree to their engineer call (and may be charged £129.99)

beeuuem

You could try a quiet line test - dial 17070 and select option 2, preferably from the master socket to be sure it is not internal wiring / faulty filters that are the the cause of the problem. This would allow you to see if the line is satisfactory. Should there be noise on the line BT can be requested to do the same test and, should the line be noisy on phone calls, this should be rectified free of charge. Unfortunately BT don't regard BB drop-outs from noise as an adequate reason to fix the line - there has to be noise on speech calls  before they will take any action.
mikejd

Today I spoke a couple of times with BT.
Their line tests showed no fault. It's now with their engineers to look deeper.  (quiet line test seemed to be fine)
I've tested another router, issue unchanged, and completed the online fault checking (with a message that I do not want to pay for an engineer to fix a problem with a service I am paying for but not receiving).
It worries me this all takes so long, that the best response so far is Chris's in a ccommunity forum. Thanks to Chris, but still Plusnet should be on this from the start as this is the basic service we are paying for. It should not depend on me calling BT, completing fault checkers with simplistic questions that I answered on the phone.
Please Plusnet, put customers first and take ownership of issues that prevent customers receiving the service they are paying for.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It would appear from what you are saying that your broadband is with Plusnet and your phone is with BT
As you have raised a phone fault with BT that will stop Plusnet doing anything as only one fault can be raised at one time and a phone fault will take priority
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Your broadband is carried over the phone network. if you have a phone problem, that needs to be fixed first, if you have chosen different suppliers as suggested, then you have given each supplier an option to blame the other. Either way, you need the phone line to be reliable first, then iits likely that your broadband will improve without further intervention.
mikejd

Never said there was a phone fault.
@Oldjim   well, we'll see how that goes. I don't think one stops the other. There is a service responsibillity. Plusnet must (like any service provider) be doing all within their power to provide the service paid for. BT have that responsibility in fact to Plusnet where broadband is concerned.
@Mustrum    yes all clear on that. No phone problem. I wouldn't be here if that was the case.

Here of course is where Plusnet using a community forum for support is not the best approach. Too many posts here depending on other customers, who naturallly cannot know all or some of the facts. This in turn lets Plusnet off the hook to some degree (for some time). What really matters is that issues get resolved. We just need and want a working service because we are paying for it.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I think that the systems lock out reporting on a broadband fault while a phone fault is ongoing. So if you have reported a fault to your phone supplier then PN can't do anything  Lips_are_sealed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: mikejd
I don't think one stops the other.

You are wrong - it does! That fact has been known for a long time.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mikejd

Ok guys. Not sure it makes sense to discuss contractual / technical specifics between Plusnet and BT, I'm just here to get it fixed. If Plusnet want to tell me "at this point we can't do anything, therefore we are not going to charge you" then ok. But until that stage I need them to do what every other service provider in the UK must do - provide the service they said they will provide.
I really just need the Plusnet support guys to get back to me so I know what is happening and how and when it can be fixed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I really just need the Plusnet support guys to get back to me so I know what is happening and how and when it can be fixed.

If the phone fault is still open with BT, it's them who need to get back to you. Until that's closed/resolved we cannot report a broadband fault.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mikejd

It was Plusnet who told me to open the fault with BT. I didn't want to do this because it just seemed like Plusnet 'passing the buck'
I can cancel the fault report with BT. We have no evident problems with the phone. Again it was PLUSNET who told me to log the fault with BT.   I only want this fixed. So far I have done what Plusnet have asked me to do (including completeling the online fault report process at your request).
The question is, will Plusnet fix this or not? It's getting silly now. After 3 days I don't know if it is even being looked at other than what has been commented on by you in this forum.
Ultimately, Plusnet are responsible for providing the service we are paying for.  As I said to you in the private message, BT told me this:
"I am not paying them for broadband, and the phone works ok so how is that BTs and not Plusnets issue?"
Is there anything I can do to get Plusnet to take this seriously?  I don't have usable broadband. I'm now paying to use mobile broadband. This is not fair.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Its not PN passing the buck, if BT are providing your phone service and it has a fault on it then they need to fix it, and in turn your broadband will improve.
I don't understand why you are not grasping this?