cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet unlimited Usage Graph

elfish
Grafter

Plusnet unlimited Usage Graph

Hi all, im having a problem with the unlimited off-peak usage. As I was on plusnet pro, the 15GB usage cap was becoming hard to hit every month when 5 people are using the same internet connection for gaming and P2P Lips_are_sealed I didnt want to pay for extra usage at the given rate, so I changed to plusnet unlimited. Here it stated that within peak times only a partion of the line speed is going to be available for use which is ok considering that the off-peak stated at "line Speed". I then found out that my usage graph was showing only peak time usage whereas off-peak was showing 0KB. I have been downloading within the off-peak times but still my speed is the same as it was within the peak time.
My usage graph display's this next to each of the stated peaks:
Peak-time 0am-Midnight
Off Peak-time Midnight-0am
Which makes no sense.  Shocked To me this looks like there is no off peak time, but it clearly states that the plusnet unlimited package allows off-peak time at "line speed". Just for added reference when I was on the plusnet pro package the speeds where of my line speed which suggests that there is no problem with my connection/hardware at my end.
If anyone has the same problem or could give me some advice on why this is happening please reply.
Thankyou 
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plusnet unlimited Usage Graph

Firstly a better name for Unlimited would be Unmetered because although there is no restriction on the amount you can download there are significant limits on the product in terms of the speeds you will see.
As there is no limit on the amount of peak time usage with unlimited off peak usage there is no need to separate out the peak and off-peak usage.
Although there is no specific limit on speeds which were your off-peak on Pro the traffic is all going to be put in to the Gold, Silver etc queues and the speeds you will see will be subject to the total Plusnet network load. As P2P is in the Bronze queue I would expect to see it slowed down significantly. If you check your speeds when the network is quieter (between say 2am and 8am) I would expect you to see near line speed.
On Pro, all your traffic was in Gold so you saw good speeds at all times which were not affected by total network load.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
elfish
Grafter

Thx jelv for that, but i have tested within the non-peak time and no increase in speed what so ever. Do you think that because the first 3 months are at £11.99 they will be limiting everything?  Cheesy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What time did you do the test (somewhere between 3am and 6am would be best)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi Elfish,
That's a display problem.  Because there is no peak/off peak on the unlimited product, all of your usage shows up during the peak period.
It's worth bearing in mind that when there are no rate limits being applied to the P2P traffic, it is still prioritised beneath Gold & Silver traffic, so unless the network has some free space, you may still see slower speeds.
Like Jelv says, because on Pro all of your traffic was in Gold or Titanium, your P2P speeds were better.
scootie
Grafter

iam getting my line speed on p2p(280KB/s) bettween midnight and midday. i didnt have any problems on other gateways but on seeing pcl- ago3 still being under used i jumped on that to see how strict the rate limits are appleyed at peak times when the gateway is under used.
and i too only get my usage showin in the peak time column of the vmbu. all thoe this isnt a great problem but is more of a problem when you want to see the break down of traffic type used as overnight p2p use just swamps the figures
4 any one instrested this is graph of the sort of type of traffic i have used in 6days since switching. about the most usage on bbyw3 peak and off peak total was 98gb in a month. iam well on my way to breaking that total and alot of the p2p is in the time of 8am to midday and upload is uncapped on p2p which i thing PN will limit soon as i have bein uploading p2p at 88KB/s all through peak time some days.
p.s somthing is getting picked up as gaming as i have hardly touched my xbox since upgradeding, cant get near it due to the line being in use 24/7 now EDIT but that wouldnt be a problem realy having gaming miss identifiyed as plusnet have covered them selfs limiting it to 2mb
elfish
Grafter

Ok thankyou all for your reply's guys Smiley