cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet speed vs BT?

Malcb

Plusnet speed vs BT?

Hi,
I'm on a rural exchange so BT only, and ADSL 1.  I'm close to the exchange though so I get 8MB.  AFAIK Plusnet are reselling BT wholesale so what, if any, is the difference between BT and Plusnet?  I'm currently paying 17.99 for the 60GB extra.  I could swap this for the plusnet unlimited contract, 16.99 pm which on paper sounds better, I think.  Or I could swap to BT, 18mth contract at 16 pm with first 6mth free (~11pm over 18mth).  That's the BT unlimited package which looks same as plusnet.  Since I'm on BT lines anyway won't I see the same performance?
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet speed vs BT?

Basic performance will be the same, there may be some subtle differences because Plusnet apply traffic prioritization in the event that you are overloading your broadband connection.  This does not make Plusnet unambiguously better because to do this Plusnet has to maintain a record of your line speed.  This record is often several days out of date with possible adverse consequences for your performance.
Malcb

I'm not quite sure what you mean by overloading.  My router achieves full 8MB as I'm close enough to the exchange (just).  Or do you mean the route from the exchange onward?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Speeds with Plusnet should be the same as with BT retail. However I suggest giving Plusnet's Customer Options/Retentions Team a call on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 (0900-1730 Mon-Fri) to discuss your requirements before changing products.
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Malcb
I'm not quite sure what you mean by overloading. 

I mean if there are more packets entering the Plusnet network for you than your close-to-8Mbps connection can cope with.  Under such circumstances if, for example,  you are trying to download a file whist simultaneously holding a conversation on Skype, then Plusnet will choose to drop the packets associated with the file download rather than with the Skype conversation.