cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet's influence over BT to get faults fixed

cockleybarn
Dabbler

Plusnet's influence over BT to get faults fixed

OK I have a broadband speed fault. Nothing particularly special about that. What is remarkable and very frustrating is Plusnet's complete lack of ability to get BT to fix it.
On or around 5 July, my rural BB speed dropped from 3.2Mb. to around 100k. I think it must have been getting slowly worse - and I wasn't at home that week - because by 19 July it had dropped to a crewl and I reported it a Question 72200766.
It took a week to get a BT engineer out to veryify the line quality. This he did and declared it to be perfectly OK back to the local exchange. Having consulted a colleague, they concurred that around 50 domestic subscribers on the same exchange had the same problem. I was told it would take 'about 2 weeks' to fix.    Why?
The exchange is a BT-only one, so i had no option but to pressurise Plusnet to get the fault escalated.
Now, my understanfding is that BT own Plusnet. So they should share systems to resolve thise issues...... errr No, it seems. All Plusnet can do is to send trouble tickets to Bt and await their response.
Well we are now in August and my BB download speed is slower than a 2G phone. No response at all from BT. Plusnet seem happy to sit on the problem and send periodic TTs to BT.
Since my upload speed remains OK - in fact faster than my download speed - the line is OK. This is a BT exhange problem. Probably the DSLAMS require rebooting or something. But how to urge Plusnet to pick up the phone and call BT rather than simply emailing them?
The only guy who I can recommend at Plusnet is [removed] . At least he called me and we had a sensible conversation over what the problem could be. He carried out a reset on the line which gave temporary improvement - until BT's line speed tester choked it off. Deciding that the line s/n ratio was 21 dB.
Great excitement. An email from Plusnet. perhaps the fault is fixed -------- No. they want me to renew my domain hosting.  Fat chance with this sort of problem. Currently I am thinking that I should change ISP because then BT will have to fix the fault when a 'new' BB service is provided.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Angry Angry Frustrated  Cry and generally p........d off  Sad Sad Sad Sad
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim): CSA name removed as per the forum rules but noted for staff.]
1 REPLY
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Plusnet's influence over BT to get faults fixed

Hi there,
First off I can see the latest reply to the ticket from today - he definitely knows what he's doing so you're in good hands there.
To address some of your other queries:
Quote from: cockleybarn
Having consulted a colleague, they concurred that around 50 domestic subscribers on the same exchange had the same problem. I was told it would take 'about 2 weeks' to fix.    Why?

That sounds like there's a problem in the exchange with the line card you (and these other 50 customers) are connected to. Two weeks will be how long it'll take to get a replacement card and get it fitted, bearing in mind engineer availability and the MBORC that's been declared. An MBORC is usually weather related, in this case the recent rains, and stands for 'Matters Beyond Our Reasonable Control'. It basically warns there's much more work than usual therefore engineer availability will be limited as a result.

Quote from: cockleybarn
Now, my understanfding is that BT own Plusnet. So they should share systems to resolve thise issues...... errr No, it seems. All Plusnet can do is to send trouble tickets to Bt and await their response.

That's correct. We're owned by BT Retail, and faults are fixed by BT Wholesale and BT Openreach - even if you were with BT Retail you'd have had the same thing. They have to escalate these issues in exactly the same way.
I'm glad you've had a decent discussion about it and can see that things are in hand, but I hope this does get sorted for you quickly. Hope that helps explain some.