cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router crashes macbook

Rebeccay

Plusnet router crashes macbook

I have switched from a BT service and router which works fine, to a plusnet router. When I swap the router over to the Plusnet one, it freezes my macbook when I connect to the network. At this point I can still move the mouse cursor however it's unresponsive and stuck in the loading icon.
I have swapped back to the BT router because the service is still active, restarted the macbook and it works fine.
I have tried to connect to the Plusnet router several times but it freezes every time. I have also tried leaving the router off, starting the macbook, then switching on the router. Up until the point where the macbook connects to the network it is fine, but freezes as soon as it does.
I have an ADSL faceplate but I've also tried with the micro filter, which changes nothing.
iOS v 10.6.8. done software updates and still no joy.
Please advise.
17 REPLIES 17
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet router crashes macbook

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

moving back to the bt router would probably be best all round, you can try disabling IPv6 if you want to keep using the PN one.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Rebeccay

Moving back to the BT router isn't a long term solution as that box belongs to someone who has moved out and isn't mine thus the reason for change in ISP.
Disabling IPv6 has worked though, so thanks for that :).
dvorak

glad that's resolved it for you, does seem to be a problem with the new sagecom routers with OS X
Customer / Moderator
paragoncs
Dabbler

I've seen this issue with the Sagecom and Mac OS X a couple of times now. It doesn't happen with a network cable only with Wifi.
2004jbrown

I've literally just had exactly the same issue on receipt of my Plusnet router yesterday. I am working on a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.8 which I've owned since approx 2005 and I've never had any problems with it.
I set up my new router last night and everything was working fine with it when using my iPhone 4 and all the wireless let me connect up my Sonos Playbar.
When I came to use my Macbook Pro and also my girlfriend using her Macbook we both had the same issue, we got the spinning wheel of death and we couldn't do anything else beyond this point. We couldn't even force quit Safari. All we could do was press the power button to turn off the laptops.
When our wireless Airport is turned off we can use the machines just fine but there is something to do with the wireless router that is causing our laptops to stall. Both our iPhones work as normal.
In the instruction manual I read something to do with Wireless N and Wireless G technology and I'm guessing this might have something to do with why our older laptops are not working. I'm certainly not prepared to by a new Macbook Pro to be able to use the internet.
I spent hours trying to work out what the problem was.
I'm going to try and turn off the Airport and log into the Sagecom router to see if there is anything I can change to sort the problem out.
I'm not sure whether updating to an OS X operating such as Snow Leopard might update our wireless setting to allow us to use the router.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Timthorogood

I have exactly the same issue.

Tried everything. PC, iPad and iPhones all work perfectly but my MacBook Pro just crashes when the Plusnet router is on.

Wasted hours trying to figure it out while it was crashing and never thought to investigate the router.

I don't want to have to use a different router now that everything is installed in my office. Any workaround?
Timthorogood

What does ipv6 'mean?

Are there any disadvantages as is this turning off a feature?
Minimaggi

Hi all, having this problem too! Macbook is fine on old and other connections but now boots up and within a minute or two l just get the spinning beachball if connected to plusnet!! I have my old talk talk router plus l might even have a plusnet one from years ago. Does anyone know if l can configure either of these to use instead of the new router? All plusnet have suggested is switching off IPv6. My mac says IPv4 and switching that to off didn't work... 😕
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Rebeccay and Minimaggi

I'm guessing you were both connecting to the router over WiFi rather than a LAN connection?

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@adamwalker,

Is the MAC's inability to work with IPv6 configured restricted to WiFi connectivity?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak

Mac’s work fine with IPv6 Wink it’s the implementation on this router that causes issues..
Customer / Moderator
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@adamwalker, it might also be worth pointing out that Rebeccay 's posting is from over 2 1/2 years ago!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What router are we talking about here, what firmware version is it running?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵