cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router as access point

Plusneter

Plusnet router as access point

Hoping somebody can help me out here.
My main router (Plusnet Fibre) is a Technicolor Gateway TG582n ( 10.2.5.2.FO )but wifi signal drops out in bedroom using iPad & iPhones.  I have my old Plusnet Thomson Gateway TG585 v8 ( 8.2.7.8 ) is there anyway I can use the later to extend wireless range using wifi only?
I've seen videos on setting up in bridge mode, but mine doesn't have the option.  Undecided
Not looking to relocate main router, run Ethernet cable or use Home Plugs (later 2 would probably be better I know) I've moved channels but didn't help  Sad
All I'm looking to find out, is if it's possible and can somebody please explain how to do it? Smiley or do I need a range extender? (I know if it can be done, it'll half my speed)
Lastly is there max range of Ethernet (Cat 5e red plugs) between DSL modem and router?
4 REPLIES 4
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Plusnet router as access point

Quote from: Plusneter
Lastly is there max range of Ethernet (Cat 5e red plugs) between DSL modem and router?

For Cat5e or better, 100m for 100BASE-TX, 1000Base-T and 1000Base-TX
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

This is how to create a "Wireless Distribution System"  (WDS) between a pair of Technicolor / Thomson routers.
But I must warn you the resultant performance is very poor.
http://npr.me.uk/wds.html
Note:
This works with R8 firmware, I haven't tested it with R10 firmware.
You can get a pair of homepluge for around £15 - £20, a much better option IMO.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The R10.2 release notes say WDS has been completely removed from the CLI (command line interface, telnet). But that in itself wouldn't matter here as you'd be entering all the "wireless wds ..." commands into the 585v8.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Probably not the cheapest solution, but I use a ZyXel PLA4231 500 Mbps Powerline Wireless N Extender (coupled with another ZyXel powerline adaptor near my router) to provide both wireless and ethernet to my lounge which is fairly distant (well, almost no wireless signal) from my router.  It cost £34.99 from eBuyer when I bought it about 18 months ago, but I'm not sure of todays prices or whether there are any similar alternatives.
It presently provides ethernet connections for my Samsung Smart TV, a Media Centre PC and some IP Network cameras, and wireless G to an old laptop which is mainly used for monitoring one of the cameras.
One day I hope to get around to running some concealed ethernet cables but in the meantime ...