cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router appears to cause computer to freeze.

WhydidIleave

Plusnet router appears to cause computer to freeze.

Hi, I have just changed to Plusnet and my broadband was switched on this afternoon.  I set up the new router as instructed and plugged it into the ethernet port and left it for 15 minutes.  When I returned, the computer had shut down.  I restarted it and none of the applications would open.  I restarted it again without the router connected by ethernet and everything was fine.  I switched on the wi-fi and I could open one page on the browser before the browser then froze. Mail would not open. The computer then froze again.  I have an iMAC running os 10.6.8 .  I tried the wi-fi with a Mac book with the same os. The same thing happened. I then restarted the big computer without the router turned on, and apart from the internet, everything functioned normally.  I replaced the new router with one of my previous ones and put in the Plusnet account details.  The internet is now working fine - for ASDL. After waiting 1 hour 31 minutes on the phone and not getting through before the technical centre shut for the night, I am a bit frustrated, as the instruction on the website was to call that number if there was a problem with the router as the online chat was down.  Does anyone know of any conflict between the software on the current router and MAC OS 10.6.8?
Cheers. Angry
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Plusnet router appears to cause computer to freeze.

You need to disable ipv6 on your macs
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
WhydidIleave

Thank you very much for that, dvorak.  It all seems to be running smoothly now. I was very impressed by the speed of your reply.  Cheers. Smiley
dvorak

no, worries. glad it's sorted for you.
Customer / Moderator
WhydidIleave

Sorry, but it is me again.  I spoke too soon.  The main computer connected by ethernet is now working fine, but the other MAC connected by WiFi isn't.  I went into preferences and switched off ipv6 under Network/Ethernet and clicked on apply on the other MAC, but when it connects to the WiFi it just freezes as before.  If I switch off the WiFi on the router the computer works fine (apart from no internet connection) but as soon as I put on the wireless connection it all freezes.  Is there any other settings I have to change? Cheers,  Undecided
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Does the MAC WiFi interface have a separate setting for IPv6?
I know nothing useful about MACs, however in a Windows environment, you would enable / disable IPv6 on each individual NIC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak

have a look at this thread here https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=137695.0
Customer / Moderator
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

In reply to Townman's question the setting on a Mac is specific to the network connection, so disabling ipv6 on Ethernet does not change the setting for wireless. 
WhydidIleave

Thanks to both of you.  I had switched off IPv6 under the Ethernet Advanced settings but missed the one under the WiFi setting.  Now I have switched that off, all computers are up and running.  Just scanned what IPv6 is on Wikipedia and read the thread so have a vague understanding of the problem.  Thanks again,  Smiley