cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet outage

stephenw10
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet outage

Wow, just spent the best part of a day trying to solve this. Should have looked here first. In my case this 'outage' co-coincided with both my upgrade to FTTC and a new pfSense release. I was sure it was something I'd configured incorrectly particularly because the upgarde did not go smoothly. However I was loving my FTTC connection, was looking great until... Shocked
Glad to know it's not me and I can grab a coffee knowing someone else is on the case!
Steve
johncov26
Dabbler

Back on in Bristol and connected to pcl-ag08.
reid1234
Dabbler

I'm back after losing internet for the last hour or so. Back on ptw-bng01 though.
twig

Still down 😕
stephenw10
Rising Star

Still seeing 172.16 address here in London.
Out of interest there are two FTTC connections at these premises and the other one, which is BT, has been rock solid.
Steve
Justin7
Grafter

Plusnet Fibre still down here...
DerwentMailman
Dabbler

Been out for about 2+ Hours.  Finally came back on at about 1630 after much fruitless cronking around in the router plus swearing at the cat.  I noticed that my speeds are a tad down on the rock solid figures of the last month.  Gratifying to know it was not a problem at my end.  Smiley
Trouble is when something like this happens you have no idea WTF is going on unless you have an alternate means of accessing PlusNet  Embarrassed
deathtrap
Grafter

although i managed to reconnect  what ever was done to reduce the time from several minutes to under 1 minute it took some months ago for some of us to re establish a PPPOE session , is now well and truly broken  it's talking an age to re connect, not only this but reconnecting to gateways that have the highest number of people connected, ir a gateway that has a higher than normal base latency level, whilst there are a few GW's that are virtually empty no wonder things can get out of balance quickly
launton
Grafter

Just got my connection back after 4 hours down within a normal IP range: 80.x.x.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This is because there looks to me like a failure in the BT Network somewhere that has caused customers that were connected to Gateway ptn-bng01 and Gateway pcl-bng02 to lose connection.
As the failure looks to be in the BT network, a lot of users won't be even connected to any Radius servers so can't authenticate and will be getting an IP address 172.xxx.xxx.xxx until such time as BT re-route things or repair what's gone down.
Rebooting your modems or modem/routers at this time will likely upset you connection to Cab or exchange depending on whether you are on FTTC or ADSL, so it's a case of sit it out at the moment until things are re-routed.
Edit: getting myself in a twist here, you'd be unlikely to get the BT Wholesale page 194.74.65.98  in the event of a failure in BT's network. Reference removed above. You tend to get that if the failure is more associated with Plusnet.
johncov26
Dabbler

Quote from: stephenw10
Still seeing 172.16 address here in London.
Out of interest there are two FTTC connections at these premises and the other one, which is BT, has been rock solid.
Steve

That's because the problem is with Plusnet and not the BT network
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sorry that's not the case see above.
And it was 172.xxx I'd intended to mention above, now edited the typo also corrected part of my comment.
johncov26
Dabbler

Quote from: DerwentMailman
Been out for about 2+ Hours.  Finally came back on at about 1630 after much fruitless cronking around in the router plus swearing at the cat.  I noticed that my speeds are a tad down on the rock solid figures of the last month.  Gratifying to know it was not a problem at my end.  Smiley
Trouble is when something like this happens you have no idea WTF is going on unless you have an alternate means of accessing PlusNet  Embarrassed

your speed should never be affected by messing with the PN technicolour router. It's only the BTO white Modem that will cause DLM to kick it. The PN router piggybacks onto it and just signs into the ISP - as all ISP's handle traffic this way
johncov26
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
This is because there looks to me like a failure in the BT Network somewhere that has caused customers that were connected to Gateway ptn-bng01 and Gateway pcl-bng02 to lose connection.
As the failure looks to be in the BT network, a lot of users won't be even connected to any Radius servers so can't authenticate and will be getting the BT Wholesale page (IP address 173.xxx.xxx.xxx) until such time as BT re-route things or repair what's gone down.
Rebooting your modems or modem/routers at this time will likely upset you connection to Cab or exchange depending on whether you are on FTTC or ADSL, so it's a case of sit it out at the moment until things are re-routed.

The problem was in PN. The IP address people are reporting is that of the radius server and they probably found tr69@plsudsl.net as the username. If it was a BT problem the guy a few posts back would have found his other line was the same.
twig

Back on now but for how long? This keeps happening.....